Duke cancels Wednesday classes as snow blankets region

The severe weather and emergency conditions policy for Duke and the hospital system will be in effect from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, according to a DukeAlert.

The alert noted that the policy was enacted due to a forecast of approximately four inches of snow. It said that classes canceled Wednesday.

"Duke community members are encouraged to stay informed by checking the DukeALERT website, as well as the Campus Service Updates web page for additional updates on parking lots, busing routes, dining facilities and stores," it stated.

In an email to students, Larry Moneta, vice president of student affairs, wrote that the weather forecast currently calls for three or four inches, but could change.

"The last ‘dusting’ we expected turned into a bit more than an inch of snow, so we could get very little snow or as much as 5 inches," Moneta wrote.

Snowfall is expected to begin around 4 a.m. tomorrow morning and continue until 6 p.m., according to The Weather Channel.

Although severe weather did limit Duke operations in Jan. last year, classes have not been disrupted on campus due to snow since Feb. of 2016.

"Those of you from northern climates, please stop snickering," Moneta wrote. 

Moneta's email also included a list of best Netflix movies to watch with the morning off.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Share and discuss “Duke cancels Wednesday classes as snow blankets region” on social media.