Meet the 11 semifinalists chosen for young trustee

<p>James B. Duke statue on Abele Quad gets a light dusting on Tuesday morning.&nbsp;</p>

James B. Duke statue on Abele Quad gets a light dusting on Tuesday morning. 

There are 11 semifinalists in the running to become the the next Young Trustee. Two to four of these semifinalists will become finalists, and the student body will vote to determine which finalist receives the title of Young Trustee.

The following are descriptions of each semifinalist and their qualifications, as provided by each candidate.

Elizabeth Brown

Senior Elizabeth Brown is studying political science and global health. She is a co-coordinator for the Community Empowerment Fund, vice president of Durham and Regional Affairs in Duke Student Government and a B.N. Duke Scholar. 

Michelle Chen

Michelle Chen is a senior majoring in computer science and minoring in economics. She is the current advisor and former director of HackDuke, a three-time executive board member of the Duke Association for Business Oriented Women (BOW) and a student leader for Project Change since 2015. 

Lesley Chen-Young

Lesley Chen-Young is a senior majoring in environmental science and policy and minoring in economics. She is currently the president of Duke University Union, a member of the Diversity in STEM Student Advisory Committee, and a member of the Seniors for Duke Annual Fund Committee.

Bryce Cracknell

Bryce Cracknell is a senior public policy major with a minor in environmental science and policy. He is a Morris K. and Stewart L. Udall Scholar, president of the Black Men's Union, member of the Trinity Board of Visitors and a resident assistant. 

Will Hardee

Will Hardee is a junior majoring in history and visual and media studies with a minor in African and African and American studies. He is an executive with the Interfraternity Council and former vice president of services for DSG. He has also served as a Board of Trustees business and finance committee member. 

Whitney Hazard

Whitney Hazard is a senior studying public policy, information science and innovation & entrepreneurship. She is the chair of the First-year Advisory Program, the director of Common Ground, a vice president of BOW and a member of the inaugural class of The Penny Pilgrim George Women’s Leadership Initiative. 

Amy Kramer

Amy Kramer is a Robertson Scholar and Schwarzman Scholar studying public policy and political science. She is an Army ROTC Cadet, member of the Duke Program in American Grand Strategy Council and is a cohort executive officer of the Penny Pilgram George Women’s Leadership Initiative. She also is a member of BOW and plays bassoon in the Duke Orchestra.

Chinmay Pandit

Chinmay Pandit is a senior studying economics and political science. He is the chief-of-staff for the Duke Political Review, a portfolio manager for the Duke Investment Club, a Robertson Scholar and a student representative on the business and finance committee of the Duke Board of Trustees.

Natalie Shammas

Senior Natalie Shammas is studying psychology with a minor in sociology and a certificate in markets and management studies. She is the president of BOW, a resident assistant in Kilgo dorm and a head student manager for Duke Women’s Basketball team. She is also an undergraduate scholar at the Fuqua/Coach K Center On Leadership and Ethics.

Isabella Turchetta

Senior Isabella Turchetta is majoring in computer science and pursuing a certificate in innovation & entrepreneurship, while also maintaining her affinity for public policy electives. She is the vice president of Dukes and Duchesses and the former CEO of Campus Enterprises LLC, as well as an active member of BOW. 

Austin Wu

Austin Wu is a senior majoring in computer science and linguistics with a minor in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. He is treasurer of the Asian Students Association, former treasurer of HackDuke and a member of Dukes and Duchesses. 

Isabelle Doan contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Meet the 11 semifinalists chosen for young trustee” on social media.