Three Duke seniors chosen as Schwarzman Scholars

Three Duke students were recently named to the third class of Schwarzman Scholars.

Duke seniors Riyanka Ganguly, Amy Kramer and Aron Rimanyi are a part of the cohort of 140 recipients this year, chosen from over 4,000 worldwide applicants. Duke has previously had three Schwarzman Scholars.

Kramer is a Boca Raton, Florida native. At Duke, she majors in public policy and political science with a concentration in U.S. foreign policy and security, peace and conflict studies.

In addition to being a Robertson Scholar, Kramer is also a ROTC cadet and is interested in strategic security benefits of mainstreaming gender perspectives in military operations. She has done research in Rwanda, Israel and the U.S., with a focus on women's leadership, according to a DukeToday release. Her future plans include working to shape a more inclusive U.S. defense policy and forging new diplomacy ventures abroad.

Ganguly hails from Seattle, Washington. She's a political science major with a minor in chemistry, and has worked at the U.S. Agency for International Development. 

She is also a Baldwin Scholar and currently serves as the Duke Student Government's President. She has previously served in DSG as the vice president of equity and outreach—a role  in which she worked to create the Peer Advocacy for Sexual Health Center. Her future plans include working in international development, with a particular focus on family planning and sexual health education programs, according to the DukeToday release.

Rimanyi of Chapel Hill, N.C. is a dual citizen of the U.S. and Hungary. He is majoring in political science and economics, with a minor in mathematics. 

He is an Angie B. Duke Memorial Scholar and a W. Earl Sasser Scholar, in addition to being a leader in Duke's Program in American Grand Strategy, the Alexander Hamilton Society and the Carolinas Hungarian Group. Rimanyi has also worked for the Hungarian National Trading House and Swiss Youth Parliament. 

The scholarship, which was "created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st century" according to its website, began in 2016. It funds a one-year Global Studies Master's Degree program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, where scholars can focus in public policy, economics and business or international studies. Students live on the campus of Schwarzman College and take classes in English.

Share and discuss “Three Duke seniors chosen as Schwarzman Scholars” on social media.