Thoughts on the AP Poll: Duke remains at No. 4, North Carolina tanks after loss to Wofford

Wendell Carter Jr. scored 27 points in just 18 minutes to help Duke destroy Evansville.

Just three undefeated teams remain around college basketball—Villanova, Arizona State and TCU—after an upset-filled week, causing some shuffling in the AP Poll. 

Blue Devils stick at No. 4

Duke bounced back from its stunning loss to Boston College Dec. 9 with a dominant win against Evansville in their return from break for final exams and stayed at No. 4. The Blue Devils leaned on a 42-3 run between the two halves and locked down the nation's No. 1 3-point shooting team, allowing them to shoot just 35.7 percent from deep and attempt 14 threes. Duke will be back in action Dec. 30 against No. 24 Florida State. 

North Carolina tumbles after historic upset

The Tar Heels didn't just fall—it was the worst home loss by a defending national champion since 1985, according to ESPN's Joe Lunardi. Wofford, ranked No. 175 in basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's efficiency rankings, shot just 7-of-22 from deep and was outrebounded, but still managed to come away with a 79-75 win in Chapel Hill. With the loss, the once-No. 5 Tar Heels dropped eight spots to No. 13, even after beating Ohio State soundly in their next outing. 

Miami tanks after loss to New Mexico State

It wasn't a great week for ACC teams in the poll, as the Hurricanes also dropped from No. 6 to No. 15 after a stunning loss to New Mexico State. The Aggies silenced Miami's offense, holding them to shoot just 2-of-18 from deep and 34.0 percent from the field in a 63-54 loss. The once-unbeaten Hurricanes will get a chance to rebound Monday against Middle Tennessee. 

Several teams take advantage of carnage to move up

With the losses ahead of them, Xavier jumped up three spots to No. 6, as did West Virginia to No. 7 and Wichita State to No. 8. TCU and Oklahoma moved the most in this week's poll, both jumping five spots to No. 10 and No. 12, respectively. 

———

COMPLETE RANKINGS: 

1. Villanova

2. Michigan State

3. Arizona State

4. Duke

5. Texas A&M

6. Xavier

7. West Virginia

8. Wichita State

9. Virginia

10. TCU

11. Kansas

12. Oklahoma

13. North Carolina

14. Purdue

15. Miami

16. Kentucky

17. Arizona

18. Baylor

19. Tennessee

20. Gonzaga

21. Cincinnati

22. Texas Tech

23. Seton Hall

24. Florida State

25. Creighton

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll: Duke remains at No. 4, North Carolina tanks after loss to Wofford” on social media.