JUST IN: Duke University Hospital President Kevin Sowers to step down

Duke University Hospital President Kevin Sowers, M.S.N. ‘89, is leaving Duke to become president of the Johns Hopkins Health System.

In an email to the Duke Health community Monday, A. Eugene Washington, chancellor for health affairs and president and CEO of Duke University Health System, announced with “mixed emotions” that Sowers would assume the new position Feb. 1, 2018. In his new role, Sowers will also be appointed executive vice president of Johns Hopkins Medicine.

“In addition to his effective leadership and commitment to the hospital over the years, Kevin has been an integral part of the cultural fabric of DUH that has contributed greatly to its ongoing reputation for excellence in patient care and operational performance,” Washington wrote.

Sowers joined Duke Hospital in 1985 a staff nurse in oncology, and shortly after received a M.S.N. from the Graduate School of Nursing in 1989. In 2003, he was appointed chief operating officer and later in 2009, was promoted to president of DUH.  

Currently, Sowers is also preceptor for the Duke University Hospital Fellowship Program. As president of Duke Hospital, Sowers is responsible for the administration and operations of a 957-bed academic teaching hospital, as well as developing a strategic plan in conjunction with Duke Medicine physicians.

Washington noted that a transition plan to identify a new leader for Duke Hospital would be publicized to the community in the coming days.

Share and discuss “JUST IN: Duke University Hospital President Kevin Sowers to step down” on social media.