ACC Watch: No. 4 Duke edges No. 24 Florida State, No. 9 Virginia holds on against Boston College

Every night of the college basketball season, the Blue Zone will bring you updates on all of the important ACC matchups. 

On the first full day of ACC play, all of the conference's ranked teams took care of business: 

No. 4 Duke 100, No. 24 Florida State 93

Behind Marvin Bagley III's 32 points and 21 rebounds, Duke was able to get past Florida State at home to win its first ACC game after an early loss to Boston College. The Blue Devils owned the glass, outrebounding the Seminoles 53-35—Bagley and Wendell Carter Jr. outrebounded Florida State by themselves. The win wasn't without some lingering concerns for Duke fans, however. The Blue Devils' perimeter defense continued to struggle, allowing the Seminoles to make 15 shots from deep, while they shot just 8-of-30 from beyond the arc themselves. 

No. 9 Virginia 59, Boston College 58

Virginia had to fight off a pesky Eagles team that never went away, but behind 31 points from Ty Jerome, the Cavaliers were able to resist and hold on to open the ACC slate with a win. Outside of allowing 29 points to Jerome Robinson and 18 to Jordan Chatman, Virginia did well to limit Boston College and its offense, allowing it to shoot just 7-of-22 from deep after connecting on 15-of-26 threes in its upset win against Duke to open conference play. 

The other scores: 

No. 13 North Carolina 73, Wake Forest 69

Notre Dame 68, Georgia Tech 59 

Clemson 78, NC State 62

Check back tomorrow to see if Syracuse can hold off Virginia Tech at the Carrier Dome. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “ACC Watch: No. 4 Duke edges No. 24 Florida State, No. 9 Virginia holds on against Boston College” on social media.