St. Francis men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Saint Francis Red Flashes

Overall record: 17-17, 11-7 in the NEC

Head coach: Rob Krimmel

Tenure at Saint Francis: 6th season

Career coaching record: 61-95

Home court: DeGol Arena

Starters: G Isaiah Blackmon, G Jamaal King, G Keith Braxton, F Luidgy Laporal, F Marc Flagg

Bench: G Randall Gaskins Jr., G Scott Meredith,  G Andre Wolford, G Markus Vallien

Overview: Fresh off an impressive run in the NEC tournament last season, the Red Flashes will attempt to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1992.

After a decent regular season, Saint Francis turned heads last March as they narrowly lost to Mount St. Mary’s 71-61 in the NEC championship game. The Red Flashes will attempt to overcome that final hurdle this season, with likely the best backcourt in the NEC. Led by their three returning leading scorers—Isiah Blackmon, Keith Braxton, and Jamaal King—who combined for 38.8 points per game last season, Saint Francis’ backcourt depth will be bolstered by freshman  Markus Vallien. Braxton—the reigning NEC Rookie of the Year—and Blackmon—a junior—will likely emerge as the de-factor leaders of the team. 

Although Saint Francis' backcourt remained largely intact, the front court remains thin. With just four players on the roster being classified as a forward or center, the Red Flashes are short on depth. Junior college transfer Luidgy Laporal and freshman Marc Flagg will have big shoes to fill as Josh Nebo—the reigning NEC Defensive Player of the Year—transferred to Texas A&M this offseason. The Red Flashes will need immediate low-post production from Laporal, who averaged 10 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season in junior college ball.  

One thing that needs to go right: The Red Flashes' guards continue to develop and excel enough to render the lack of depth and experience in the post irrelevant. 

One thing that could go wrong: Saint Francis fails to fill the defensive void that Nebo left, leading to losses in many high-scoring games. 

Share and discuss “St. Francis men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.