Furman men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Furman Paladins

2016-17 record: 23-12, 14-4 in the Southern

Head coach: Bob Richey

Tenure at Furman: 1st season

Career coaching record: 0-1

Home court: Timmons Arena

Starters: F Geoff Beans, G John Davis III, G Andrew Brown, G Devin Sibley, G Daniel Fowler

Bench: G Jonathan Jean, G Jordan Lyons, F Matt Rafferty, F Jalen Williams

Overview: After staying competitive through a tough nonconference schedule, during which they played Michigan tight before losing by six points, the Paladins played well in the Southern Conference on their way to a share of the regular-season title. But they were stunned in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament by No. 7 seed Samford.

This year, Furman looks to continue its success, returning four of its five starters from last year, including two preseason all-conference players in Devin Sibley and Daniel Fowler. First-year head coach Bob Richey was an assistant for the Paladins for six seasons and took the helm prior to the final game of last season when Niko Medved jumped to Drake, and he will look to carry his predecessor's success into the postseason.

With tough nonconference opponents like Duke, Butler and Tennessee on tap early. the Paladins will need contributions from everybody to get off to a good start.

One thing that needs to go right: Sibley and Fowler up their production and prove the preseason all-conference voters right, ass they lead Furman to the Southern Conference title.

One thing that could go wrong: Richey struggles in his debut as a young coach, the Paladins do not replace their second-leading scorer in Kris Acox and fall to the middle of the Southern Conference.

Share and discuss “Furman men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.