DUSDAC considers adding Mexican food truck Holy Mole to lineup

For those seeking more Latin American food on campus, their wishes may soon be granted.

At its Tuesday meeting, Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee sampled some traditional Mexican food from a new food truck called Holy Mole which serves enchiladas and nachos, among other offerings. The truck opened up last week and is co-owned by the same operators of the Cuban food truck, Qspresso, which frequents 300 Swift.

“I think [this truck] could fill a couple of needs for us,” said Aris Marton, assistant director of retail operations for Duke Dining.

Since Duke’s most recent Mexican food truck—Captain Ponchos—left, there has been an extra food truck spot in the lineup. The consideration of a Mexican food truck comes a week after DUSDAC heard from sophomore Jen Ricano, who complained that Duke lacked authentic Latin American meals.

Holy Mole’s chef and co-owner, Heladio Hernandez, is from Oaxaca, Mexico, so the truck uses cheese from that geographic region. The mole negro sauce on the enchiladas is homemade by Hernandez and consists of 31 ingredients.

“We wanted to try a different cuisine,” said Holy Mole co-owner Courtney Caley. “I love [Mexican food] and we both knew how to cook it. So far we’ve gotten rave reviews.”

Enchiladas from the truck—with three sides, including rice and beans—have a price point of $9. If the truck is approved by DUSDAC, it will accept food points.

Holy Mole also caters to gluten-free diets, vegetarians and vegans. Its tortillas are gluten-free, and Hernandez is working on substituting the single gluten ingredient in the mole negro. Vegans can request no chicken and cheese in their enchiladas, and vegetarians can order vegetarian nachos and tacos. They also have the option of getting enchiladas stuffed with potato salad.

Hernandez said he anticipates that it will not take more than three to four minutes for customers to get their food unless there is a very long line.

Caley and Hernandez also noted that they are looking into getting certified by Don't Waste Durham's Sustainable Food Truck program to reduce Holy Mole’s waste. At the DUSDAC meeting least week, Melissa Whaling, a member of the Don't Waste Durham's Sustainable Food Truck certification program, gave a presentation in hopes that Duke would prioritize the program's six certified trucks.

DUSDAC did not make a decision about Holy Mole at the meeting. However, committee members spoke positively about the food truck.

“It’s good timing that Holy Mole just opened given that we have been looking for a new food truck and more Latin food. Also, the truck is sustainable,” said senior Julia Medine, co-chair of DUSDAC.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC considers adding Mexican food truck Holy Mole to lineup” on social media.