Boston College men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Boston College Eagles

2016-17 record: 9-23, 2-16 in the ACC

Head coach: Jim Christian

Tenure at Boston College: 4th season

Career coaching record: 271-221

Home court: Conte Forum

Starters: G Jerome Robinson, G Ky Bowman, G Jordan Chatman, F Deontae Hawkins, F Steffon Mitchell

Bench: F Nik Popovic, F Mike Sagay, F Johncarlos Reyes, G Avery Wilson, G Gordon Gehan

Overview: In three seasons under Christian, the Eagles have six ACC wins. Last year, this is the list of teams they beat: Maryland-Eastern Shore, Stony Brook, Towson, Dartmouth, Auburn, Sacred Heart, Providence, Syracuse and N.C. State. That’s it. 

Boston College does have a dynamic backcourt duo of Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowman, though, which combined for 33 points per game last season. Jordan Chatman also adds some talent at guard, with a solid 3-point touch, and the Eagles added a strong forward in Illinois State graduate transfer Deontae Hawkins, who averaged 14.0 points and nearly seven rebounds per game for the Red Birds. 

But outside of that, the Eagles have very little. Their other likely starting forward, freshman Steffon Mitchell, was ranked as the No. 371 recruit in the nation by 247Sports and the team lost a lot of minutes since A.J. Turner, Connar Tava, Ty Graves, Garland Owens and Mo Jeffers all will not be on the roster this season. From that group alone, that's 119.5 minutes per game lost, and outside of their three guards, no other player on Boston College's roster played more than 6.5 minutes for the Eagles last season. 

One thing that could go right: If Hawkins can step up and continue his production from Illinois State, the Eagles could have a chance to win a couple more ACC games, with a two-dimensional offense that could work the ball inside. 

One thing that could go wrong: Given such little depth, Boston College’s backcourt starters prove to not be enough, leaving the Eagles with another disastrous season.  

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Boston College men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.