The Devil's in the details: Week of Oct. 3

Daniel Jones completed just 33 percent of his passes Saturday against Virginia.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers.

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key stats from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside a disappointing loss for Blue Devil football and big wins for both men's and women's soccer. 

8

No. 19 Duke men’s soccer stunned No. 10 Georgetown 2-1 for their second win over a top-25 opponent this season. Freshman goalkeeper Will Pulisic posted four saves and a shutout against Pittsburgh on Friday, and rode that momentum to a career-high eight saves to beat Georgetown. The Hoyas outshot Duke 19-8, but senior Brian White and freshman Daniel Wright scored to back Pulisic and secure the Blue Devils’ 10th win of the season. Duke will host No. 5 Clemson on Friday for a chance at their second straight top-10 win. 

Find out the whole story—Pulisic makes four saves in Duke men's soccer's 2-0 win against Pittsburgh AND Pulisic's 8 saves lead Duke men's soccer to upset of No. 10 Georgetown

1

Senior Leona Maguire finished first in the European Women’s Amateur Golf Rankings, her third consecutive year on the top of the golf world. This past year, Maguire won the 2017 Ladies’ British Open Amateur Championship, secured a top-50 finish in the British Open and recorded the second-best scoring average in NCAA history as a junior at 70.29. Maguire opened this season by winning the Jim West Challenge and carding a top-10 finish at the Windy City Collegiate Championship, although the Blue Devils slumped late to finish fifth. 

Find out the whole storyNo. 2 Duke women's golf slips to fifth place at Windy City Collegiate Championship 

33 percent 

For the third straight week, redshirt sophomore quarterback Daniel Jones has struggled throwing the ball, completing only 33 percent of his passes in a 28-21 loss to Virginia Saturday. Jones went 14-of-42 for 124 yards and two interceptions. The loss at Virginia marked Duke’s second consecutive loss after a 4-0 start, and the second straight game the offense has struggled. After not scoring a single touchdown against Miami, Duke’s offense sputtered again, finding the back of the end zone only twice.

Find out the whole story—What is wrong with Daniel Jones and Duke football's aerial attack?

13 

After an early season loss to North Carolina, the No. 4 Duke women’s soccer has been on fire—their win streak hit 13 games after topping No. 16 Florida State 2-0 Sunday. The Blue Devils took the lead off a left-footed volley from sophomore Ella Stevens, and senior Imani Dorsey put the Seminoles away with her ninth goal. Senior goalkeeper EJ Proctor has been stellar throughout their win streak: she’s allowed two goals only once, and recorded nine shutouts. 

Find out the whole story—No. 4 Duke avenges last season's loss to Florida State in 13th straight win

16 

After combining to shoot 13-under-par on the first two days, Duke men’s golf entered the final round at the Nike Collegiate Invitational just eight strokes behind No.18 Stanford. But on the last day, Duke struggled on the back nine, and posted a 16-over-par 300, moving Duke from 3rd to 11th in the tournament, leaving it 30 strokes behind defending national champion Oklahoma. But it wasn’t all bad for the Blue Devils, as senior Adam Wood finished 10th overall at 6-under-par. 

Find out the whole story—Duke men's golf plummets down leaderboard on final day of Nike Collegiate

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the details: Week of Oct. 3” on social media.