Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Madison Treece

Madison Treece gives Duke depth in the frontcourt as it looks to replace Oderah Chidom and Kendall Cooper.

Madison Treece

• Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-4
  • Position: Foward  

Game breakdown: Touted as a blue-collar low-post performer, freshman Madison Treece will need to punch beyond her weight class to replace the three graduated backcourt players from last season. 

Ranked the No. 10 best frontcourt player in the class of 2017, the former four-star post is known for her physical and fundamental back-to-the-basket game. The 6-foot-4 Treece, with senior year averages of 10.7 PPG, 6.6 RPG, and 1.5 APG, was the offensive focus of her high school team, which employed an inside-outside game—the default play was feeding her in the low post, after which she either isolated or passed out to an open shooter. 

However, at the college level, her current lack of a jumper will prevent her from becoming a volume scorer. Although she will not be the offensive centerpiece for the Blue Devils, her quickness in fast breaks and pick-and-rolls will allow her to contribute right off the bat. On the defensive end, her quick feet and physicality will allow her to serve as a strong presence in the middle of the key. 

Role on team: A gritty competitor for rebounds, Treece’s length and presence alone in the key will be crucial for the Duke defense, whom lost graduated two key backcourt contributors in Oderah Chidom and Kendall Cooper. Chidom and Cooper served as the defensive anchors of the team, with a combined 119 blocks last season. 

With Fresno State transfer Bego Faz Davalos—the NCAA active leader in rebounds and blocks—as the starting as center this season, Treece will likely play a position down at forward off the bench. Regardless, due to the loss of the primary backcourt players from last season, Treece will have the opportunity to serve as both an offensive and defensive spark off the bench. 

Projected stats: 4.0 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 0.5 APG, .8 BPG

Stay tuned with the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with freshman Mikayla Boykin tomorrow. Previous players previewed: Jayda Adams

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Madison Treece” on social media.