Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Emily Schubert

<p>Emily Schubert will look to finally get consistent playing time in her senior season.</p>

Emily Schubert will look to finally get consistent playing time in her senior season.

Emily Schubert

• Year: Redshirt Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-4
  • Position: Center

Game breakdown: After tearing her ACL in preseason play a year ago, Schubert will finally make her regular season debut in 2017. The center from Elizabethton, Tenn., averaged 11.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks per game as a senior in high school, and will look to translate her size into a formidable presence around the hoop for the Blue Devils following the departures of Oderah Chidom and Kendall Cooper.  

A proven shot-blocker, Schubert also has the potential to bring range and athleticism to the post for Duke, as she was a standout track and field runner as well in high school. The strength of her leg after last season’s injury, however, will be critical if she is to regain her form. Schubert joins redshirt sophomore Haley Gorecki and redshirt junior Sofia Roma as the three returning Blue Devils making their way back from injuries this season.

Schubert played a minimal role on offense in the team’s annual Blue-White scrimmage last week, missing both of her shot attempts, but did manage to record a block in 19 minutes on the court. 

Role on the team: Schubert figures to see limited action this season, as there are three players—seniors Erin Mathias and Bego Faz Devalos and freshman Jade Williams—who will likely share the bulk of the load at center this season. However, as she found out last season, injuries happen, and if one or two of those players go down at some point, Schubert will be next in line to fill her role. 

Projected stats: 2.2 PPG, 0.2 APG, 0.5 BPG

Stay tuned with the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with sophomore Leaonna Odom tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Jade Williams, Jayda Adams, Madison Treece, and Mikayla Boykin

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Emily Schubert ” on social media.