A Blue Devil's crucible

Last night the Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics faced off in a season opener fraught with drama and intrigue; Kyrie Irving, Cleveland’s revered point guard, opted to leave The Forest City for a spot on a franchise willing to invest more into him as its leader. In the summer leading into the 2017 NBA preseason, Irving hinted several times at a trade request back in July, sparking debate over the role he played alongside LeBron James and whether or not it became strained. Short answer? It did. 

Fast forward a few weeks and in August the Cavaliers said so long to their championship performer and hello to several new guys from one of their rivals in the Eastern Conference. Initially, Irving lamented on the pangs of such a decision, how the city meant a tremendous amount to the kid from Melbourne. He was adamant, thoughtful, and appreciative in his response to the city who took him in when the King stepped out.

Irving was drafted at the number one spot in the 2011 NBA Draft by a desperate Cavaliers team; their foundation, their franchise player took his talents south and what remained was a gaping hole in their depth chart. Despite the significantly larger shoes to fill—LeBron James stands at 6’8, 250 pounds—Irving took the resolve he exuded as a Blue Devil to the hardwood in Cleveland, and did all but disappoint. He finished his first season averaging about 18 points a game to go along with 5 assists and nearly 4 rebounds per game, which garnered the respect and admiration from the league and its viewers, as well as a Rookie of the Year award.

Irving’s Duke roots, however, shed light on his capacity to persevere. In December 2010, Irving was sidelined indefinitely after suffering a right toe injury in a game against Butler. It was likely that he would miss the remainder of his freshman season, and analysts placed him in the top five picks going into that year’s draft. Coach K even commented on the severity of Irving’s injury at the time, going so far as to assert that sitting him was “not to save him for any period of time or whatever, but he could be out or a long time.”

Despite playing only 11 of 37 games, Irving saw 8 starts, scored double digits in all the games he played, and even managed to supply a team-high 14 points in his return during the NCAA tournament. The inklings of a phenom were planted years prior, as Irving established himself as a leader long before being paired with a Hall-of-Famer in LeBron James. The small number of games Irving played at Duke did not prevent his being drafted at the number one spot, as well as catapulting him into the Cavaliers’ newest hope. The span of his first three years there saw him average 20 points, nearly 6 assists per game, and close to 4 rebounds per. His efforts were making gains; even though they were held out of the playoffs those first three years, their record improved every season since drafting Irving, as they slowly dug themselves out of that 15th spot in the Eastern Conference.

Upon the return of the King, Irving willingly shifted gears, donned a new role, and helped cement their team’s newest identity as championship contenders. His Duke roots run deep, providing moments of clarity when the pressure is most significant. Enter the last minute of the 2016 NBA Finals to the exact spot on the elbow where Kyrie Irving, with no hesitation, pulls up for a three on the league’s most dangerous perimeter shooter in recent history. The moment was a catalyst, one that solidified for Irving his capacity to lead a team of champions, to be its focal point.

During last night’s game (discretion advised) with Irving in a uniform not stripped in wine and gold, his greatest supporter on the Celtics roster—$128 million small forward Gordon Hayward—suffered a devastating ankle injury within the first five minutes of their first season opener together. If Kyrie Irving was seeking any greater crucible, they would pale in comparison to the task at hand. His intentions were clear going into the 2017 offseason: Irving wanted to be the focus of his own team, to be the leader that he knew he was capable of being. Now that one of their roster’s most crucial performers has been sidelined, Irving must again face a challenge akin to those of his past. His role as a leader will be determined and refined from this moment moving forward, but if his record is any indication, this Blue Devil is well equipped with the strength and mettle to persevere, but above all, to strive.

Jamal Michel is a Duke graduate and an English teacher at Northern High School. His column runs on alternate Fridays.

Jamal Michel

Share and discuss “A Blue Devil's crucible” on social media.