X Factor: Duke football vs. Baylor

<p>Joe Giles-Harris will look to slow Baylor's offense.&nbsp;</p>

Joe Giles-Harris will look to slow Baylor's offense. 

With the Baylor Bears coming off of two tough losses, the Blue Devils look to hit them while they’re down and secure a 3-0 season start. 

Every week throughout the football season, the Blue Zone will break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest. 

Duke: Linebacker Joe Giles-Harris  

After last weekend’s 41-17 rout of Northwestern, the Blue Devils’ offense looks sharp and ready to attack. Daniel Jones has successfully taken the reigns, amassing over 300 yards passing and 100 yards rushing in Duke’s last match-up. Now facing a Baylor offense that is looking to establish offensive consistency, the Blue Devil defense will have to continue to perform—especially when it comes to pass rushing and putting pressure on the young Bear quarterback Zach Smith.  

A pre-season All-ACC selection, Giles-Harris has not failed to impress in his first two starts of the season, tacking on eight tackles in the match-up against North Carolina Central and another six versus the Wildcats. Giles-Harris accumulated more than 100 tackles last season in addition to having a career-high 16 stops versus the Eagles. His ability to pressure the quarterback, cut short passing plays and close holes in the line for the running game will be a major key for Duke to limit Baylor's athletic playmakers. 

Baylor: Quarterback Zach Smith 

Arizona graduate transfer Anu Solomon’s abysmal passing performance in his first two starts for the Bears paved the way for sophomore quarterback Zach Smith's move to the starting line-up. Known for his accuracy and poise, his position as the head of the offense might help stimulate offensive consistency for Baylor and allow them to put together cleaner drives. 

The Bears have two dangerous receivers, Chris Platt and Denzel Mims, and if Smith can prove more accurate than Solomon, their offense could be far more potent. With six of its seven touchdowns on the season coming in less than two minutes, Baylor has shown flashes of explosiveness. Smith’s poise and leadership skills could provide much needed direction for a team playing with a high percentage of true freshman, and could be a better fit than Solomon was in first-year head coach Matt Rhule's pro-style offense, as the Blue Zone broke down in the film room. 

Share and discuss “X Factor: Duke football vs. Baylor” on social media.