Duke in the NFL: Week 1

<p>Jamison Crowder had a tough start to the NFL season with just 14 yards receiving in his first game.</p>

Jamison Crowder had a tough start to the NFL season with just 14 yards receiving in his first game.

As the NFL season gets underway, The Blue Zone takes a look at how the former Blue Devils in the NFL performed in Week 1. 

Jamison Crowder, WR, Washington Redskins

The 105th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft came into this season with lofty expectations. Crowder improved upon his stellar rookie season, as he made significant strides in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns, finishing with 67, 847 and seven, respectively. With the departure of Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, Washington’s two leading receivers last season, the Monroe, N.C., native seemed poised to have a breakout season.

The Duke product’s road to stardom got off to a bumpy start in the first week of the NFL season. Crowder compiled a meager three receptions for 14 yards and lost a fumble on a punt return during the Philadelphia Eagles’ 30-17 dismantling of the Redskins. Much of his subpar performance can be attributed to a lingering hip issue, though, and Crowder seems primed to bounce back in his Week 2 matchup with the Los Angeles Rams.

Vincent Rey, LB, Cincinnati Bengals

Rey, an eight-year veteran, came into the 2017 season as the Bengals’ longest-tenured player. The outside linebacker’s experience contributes to his leadership skills, and he once again will lead a formidable Cincinnati defense. 

In the Bengals’ otherwise embarrassing 20-0 throttling at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, Rey shined as one of the team’s few bright spots. The 2010 undrafted free agent led the Bengals with 11 tackles, and also tacked on a tackle for loss. 

Laken Tomlinson, LG, San Francisco 49ers

In 2015, Tomlinson became the first Blue Devil to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft since 1987, when the Detroit Lions selected him with the 28th pick in the 2015 draft. The former All-American failed to live up to expectations in Detroit however, and the Lions traded Tomlinson to the 49ers this August for a future fifth-round pick.

The 49ers reserve guard, who logged playing time in every game the prior two seasons, did not play a single snap in Week 1. However, there have been rumblings in San Francisco that Tomlinson could supplant incumbent starter Zane Beadles in due time.

Ross Cockrell, CB, New York Giants

The fourth-year Duke product is coming off of a strong season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, following a breakout year in 2015. Despite this strong showing, for which he was graded as the 27th-best cornerback in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus, Cockrell became expendable with the Steelers’ acquisition of former Browns cornerback Joe Haden. The organization thus traded him to the New York Giants on September 2, where the Farmington Hills, Mich., native is likely to get significant playing time once he familiarizes himself with the playbook.

Jeremy Cash, LB, Carolina Panthers

Cash amassed an impressive resume at Duke, including winning ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2015. This success has not translated to the NFL yet for the former Blue Devil, though. Cash signed last year as an undrafted free agent with the Carolina Panthers and has seen little playing time.

The Panthers linebacker has only seen action thus far on special teams, and he serves as a reserve linebacker for Carolina. Cash’s highest profile incident came in training camp, when head coach Ron Rivera berated him for making a low hit on star rookie running back Christian McCaffrey during practice.

Thomas Hennessy, LS, New York Jets

Long snapper has long been one of the most underappreciated positions in football. Hennessy has not let this fact stop him from making a name for himself. The New Jersey native, who initially inked a contract with the Indianapolis Colts, was dealt to the Jets this preseason. At training camp in Florham Park, N.J., Hennessy outplayed veteran starter Tanner Purdum and won the starting position. The undrafted free agent will be a major contributor on the Jets’ special teams unit in 2017 and beyond.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Week 1” on social media.