Duke men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski to undergo total right knee replacement surgery

Blue Devils cancel their Dominican Republic trip as a result

<p>Coach K's knee surgery marks his second major procedure in less than a year, following back surgery this past winter.</p>

Coach K's knee surgery marks his second major procedure in less than a year, following back surgery this past winter.

For the winningest coach in Division I history, this weekend will mark his second major surgery in 2017.

Duke announced that head coach Mike Krzyzewski will undergo total knee replacement surgery on his right knee in a news release Thursday, and the Blue Devils have canceled their upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic. The 70-year-old will have the procedure done at Duke University Medical Center by joint replacement orthopedic surgeon Michael P. Bolognesi.

“While it’s disappointing that we aren’t able to make the Dominican Republic trip, this is a positive development for both our team and myself because it will allow us to be at full strength for the start of practice this fall,” Krzyzewski said in the release. “After three consecutive days of working with the team, it became clear that the condition of my knee wouldn’t be sustainable through next season. The best course of action is to correct the problem now rather than later, when our team would be more profoundly impacted.”

The team was scheduled to play a pair of games against the Dominican Republic national team on the Caribbean island August 20 and 23.

“Unequivocally, this is the absolute right thing Mike should do, and at precisely the right time,” Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White said. “Certainly, we know Mike will receive unparalleled medical care here at Duke, and that his recovery will lead him into his 38th season here at full strength."

Krzyzewski had to miss about a month of the season last year due to back surgery in January. He also had a total knee replacement on his left knee in April 2016, hernia surgery in May 2016 and two ankle procedures in the summer of 2016.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski to undergo total right knee replacement surgery” on social media.