Adjunct faculty ratify agreement with University after months of negotiations

<p>Approximately 300 faculty will be represented by the Service Employees International Union.</p>

Approximately 300 faculty will be represented by the Service Employees International Union.

Duke Faculty Union members have ratified a collective bargaining agreement with the University.

Last March, non-regular rank faculty voted to form a union. After months of meetings with administration, the union reached a tentative agreement for a three-year contract in June. According to an email from the union, the now-ratified agreement includes pay increases, longer contracts and access to teaching and institutional resources. However, the email noted that there was still progress to be made.

“Our long-term project remains focused on achieving equity with Duke's tenure-track faculty,” the email stated. “Our newly ratified collective bargaining agreement is significant progress towards this goal of equity, and we look forward with pride and excitement as our commitments and stake in teaching and research as faculty at Duke University is, at long last, being acknowledged for the value it creates for students and in support of Duke's mission.”

According to the email, the union represents all non-regular rank faculty in Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, the Center for Documentary Studies, and the Graduate School.

"We were pleased to have the contract ratified and look forward to establishing a collaborative relationship," wrote Kristen Brown, associate vice president for news, communications and media, in an email.

Duke Faculty Union is now the newest National Labor Relations Board-certified unit within the Service Employees International Union. 

Editor's note: This story was updated at 11:00 p.m. Wednesday with Brown's comment.

Share and discuss “Adjunct faculty ratify agreement with University after months of negotiations” on social media.