JUST IN: David Shumate named radio play-by-play announcer for Duke football and Duke men's basketball

<p>North Carolina native David Shumate will become the new voice of Duke football and men's basketball beginning in Fall 2017.</p>

North Carolina native David Shumate will become the new voice of Duke football and men's basketball beginning in Fall 2017.

Duke has named a new voice of the Blue Devils for the first time in more than 40 years.

David Shumate will replace longtime football and men's basketball radio play-by-play announcer Bob Harris in front of the microphone this year, the school announced in a press release Monday morning. Shumate was IMG’s Director of Audio Operations for the last five seasons and graduated from Appalachian State in 2006.

“I am extremely thankful for this incredible opportunity as I’ve admired and respected the Duke brand from afar for many, many years and could not be more excited to join two championship caliber programs,” Shumate said in the release. “I will strive to represent Duke University and IMG in the same manner as the legendary Bob Harris. His legacy as the Voice of the Blue Devils is unrivaled and I’m humbled to follow him."

The hiring concluded a search that lasted almost a year since Harris announced in July 2016 that the 2016-17 football and men's basketball seasons would be his last.

“Our search to replace Bob Harris brought many excellent candidates into the fold, and David’s lengthy list of attributes placed him at the top,” Duke IMG General Manager Pat Streko said in the release. “We are confident Duke fans worldwide will come to admire and enjoy David’s broadcasting style as he shares his view with great passion and poise. We are absolutely thrilled about David joining the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network.”

Shumate will have big shoes to fill after Harris wrapped up an iconic 41-year career in Durham. The three-time North Carolina Broadcaster of the Year was inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame in 2006 and has broadcasted all of men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski's Final Fours and national championships.

"David Shumate will be a terrific addition to the Duke radio broadcasts," Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White said in the release. "We lost a legend when Bob Harris retired from his position after more than four decades of brilliant service to Duke. We believe David can provide the same acute insight and unwavering integrity that Duke fans have come to expect, while providing his own unique voice and perspective to the broadcasts."

"We are excited that David Shumate is joining the Duke family," Blue Devils' men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in the release. "His tireless work ethic, abundant humility and professional patience have led him to this point. We know of his outstanding work first hand, and look forward a long relationship developing between our fans and David as he brings the games to life to those following Duke across the country."

Harris' streak of 471 straight football games broadcasted will end when Shumate's run starts Sept. 2, as the Blue Devils take the gridiron for their season opener against N.C. Central.

Share and discuss “JUST IN: David Shumate named radio play-by-play announcer for Duke football and Duke men's basketball” on social media.