LDOC 2017 to feature Tory Lanez and Daya

<p>Rapper Tory Lanez (above) and pop singer Daya will perform at this year's LDOC concert.</p>

Rapper Tory Lanez (above) and pop singer Daya will perform at this year's LDOC concert.

Rapper Tory Lanez will be headlining the Last Day of Classes concert this year, Duke University Union announced Friday.

The lineup will also include pop artist Daya, electronic dance music group Cheat Codes and synthpop band Panama Wedding.

LDOC committee co-chairs Dylan Posner and Brian Buhr, both sophomores, noted that they tried to create a blend of hip hop and pop in this year’s programming.

“It’s going to be a great day, and we think our artists will really embody LDOC,” Posner said.

They said that both Tory Lanez—whose hit “Luv” was nominated for a Grammy—and Daya are exciting performers who are playing at a lot of summer music festivals and are on tour right now. Daya is known for her vocals on the Chainsmokers’ song “Don't Let Me Down," which won a Grammy this year.

This is the first time LDOC will feature a Grammy-winning artist—evidence of “the Duke difference,” Buhr noted.

Posner and Buhr said they aimed to balance out the lineup with Panama Wedding, a more alternative group.

“We also thought about how good these people are at performing live,” Buhr said. “That was a big consideration in these artists.”

DUU announced the lineup Friday night at a karaoke competition at the Devil’s Krafthouse, which raised money for the Duke Children’s Hospital.

This year, Posner explained that the LDOC committee is trying to include more members of the student body and is partnering with the Women’s Center and DuWell to increase safety.

Another collaboration is with Sustainable Duke and the Nicholas School of the Environment to make the day as environmentally friendly as possible. Their goal is for LDOC to be carbon neutral through an increased push for recycling.

Buhr noted that the committee is looking to make daytime programing more robust and appealing to a wider audience. This year’s events include classics like bouncy castles and the silent disco along with a chalk wall and screen printing through a partnership with the Nasher Museum. Because the Chapel is open this year, unlike last LDOC, there will be massages on the Chapel steps, and students will be able to embark on a Chapel climb.

Light programming on East Campus during the day might be offered as well, Posner said.

With less than a month until LDOC, Buhr urged students to take advantage of April’s many DUU events like Old Duke and embrace this year’s LDOC motto—#finishstrong.

“It’s an exciting time of year,” Posner said. “We just want everyone to really embrace what that means. The Duke community is something we all love and celebrate.”

Share and discuss “LDOC 2017 to feature Tory Lanez and Daya” on social media.