Duke men's basketball 2016-17 player review: Jack White

<p>Jack White impressed in Duke's exhibition season but rarely got off the bench in games that mattered.</p>

Jack White impressed in Duke's exhibition season but rarely got off the bench in games that mattered.

Jack White

Season Breakdown:

White wowed fans with his range before the season at Countdown to Craziness, knocking down both of his 3-point attempts, and he again shot 2-of-2 from beyond the arc in Duke's second exhibition against Augustana. But the Australian swingman did not get much of a chance to show off his shooting stroke in the regular season, appearing in just 10 games and playing a total of 61 minutes.

White scored a season-high five points—all on free throws—in the Blue Devils' opener against Marist, and he played 10 minutes Dec. 3 against Maine, scoring four points and grabbing four rebounds. But his only points the rest of the season came on a triple Jan. 4 against Georgia Tech, and with Duke playing close games nearly every time it took the floor in conference play, garbage-time minutes soon vanished for White, who only saw the floor when the Blue Devils were desperate or mired in foul trouble. White did not play in the entire month of February, but appeared for two minutes in Duke's NCAA tournament opener against Troy to cap his season.

Results relative to expectations:

When White came to Durham as a little-known recruit from the other side of the world, he was a bit of an enigma, and he remains that way now. Nobody expected White to be a major contributor as the least heralded member of a highly touted recruiting class, but he did show glimpses of a player that could become a regular option off the bench later in his career. White can put the ball in the basket on offense—he shot 6-of-9 from the field this season—but it remains to be seen whether he can consistently match up with top competition. Regardless of who leaves early for the NBA, White will likely have to fight for minutes again next season.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2016-17 player review: Jack White” on social media.