2017 NCAA tournament preview: Nevada

Nevada Wolf Pack: 28-6, 14-4 in the Mountain West 

Head coach: Eric Musselman (2nd season)

Players to watch: Marcus Marshall (19.8 PPG, 38.6 3PT%); Cameron Oliver (15.8 PPG, 8.7 RPG);  Jordan Caroline (14.8 PPG, 9.2 RPG) 

Season recap: The Wolf Pack head to the Big Dance for the first time since 2007 on a nine-game winning streak and with its offense firing on all cylinders. Nevada spaces the floor with the trio of Marcus Marshall, Cameron Oliver and Jordan Caroline, who have helped the team average nearly 80 points per game this season while also shooting 38.5 percent from beyond the arc. When the Wolf Pack is struggling to hit shots from deep, though, Nevada is susceptible to being held in check, as was the case in February losses to Utah State and San Diego State. 

On the other end of the floor, Nevada ranks 15th in opponent 3-point field goal percentage, holding teams to just a 30.7 percent clip from long range. By running teams off the 3-point line, the Wolf Pack dare opponents to penetrate and finish in the lane with consistency. Considering that Nevada has difficulty forcing turnovers and getting out in transition, head coach Eric Musselman's squad is asked to play stout defense in the halfcourt to get stops.

A significant concern for Nevada heading into March is the team's weak schedule. Outside of an early-season matchup against St. Mary's, the Wolf Pack did not face the quality of competition it will see in the NCAA tournament. 

How they make a run: With a bevy of weapons on offense, Nevada has a hot shooting day and torches a suspect defense en route to its first tournament win in 10 years. 

How they falter: The Wolf Pack match up with a team that excels in taking away the 3-pointer and Nevada struggles to find other ways to score consistently. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: Nevada ” on social media.