2017 NCAA tournament preview: Gonzaga

Gonzaga Bulldogs: 32-1, 17-1 in the West Coast Conference

Head coach: Mark Few (18th season)

Players to watch: Nigel Williams-Goss (16.9 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 4.8 APG); Przemek Karnowski (12.6 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 60.1 FG%); Zach Collins (10.2 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 65.3 FG%)

Season recap: Gonzaga ran out to its best start ever with wins in its first 29 games, including quality nonconference victories against Florida, Arizona and Iowa State. The Bulldogs then dominated their competition in conference play, winning every game by double digits until a shocking upset at home at the hands of Brigham Young in their regular-season finale.

Washington transfer Nigel Williams-Goss has played like an All-American in his first season at Gonzaga as a versatile guard that can finish from anywhere on the floor and crash the glass effectively, and the Bulldogs also have one of the deepest frontcourts in the nation.

Karnowski—a 7-foot-1, 300-pound redshirt senior who has a size advantage on almost everybody in the nation and is skilled enough to use it—bounced back from season-ending back surgery last year with the best season of his career. Collins gives Gonzaga another 7-footer off the bench that can step in whenever Karnowski gets into foul trouble, and Johnathan Williams is a gritty 6-foot-9 forward that is one of four Bulldogs averaging at least 5.7 rebounds per game.

How they make a run: Notorious for great regular seasons followed by disappointing losses in March, the stars finally align for Gonzaga, which overpowers opponents with its size and never has to travel east of Phoenix on the way to its first national championship.

How they falter: The Bulldogs fold under the pressure of a close game, as they did against the Cougars in their only loss, committing uncharacteristic turnovers down the stretch and getting overwhelmed by a rare quality opponent in the tournament's second weekend.

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: Gonzaga” on social media.