Quarterback Thomas Sirk to transfer from Duke football for sixth year of eligibility

<p>Thomas Sirk led the Blue Devils to an 8-5 campaign in 2015 but missed last year due to two Achilles injuries.&nbsp;</p>

Thomas Sirk led the Blue Devils to an 8-5 campaign in 2015 but missed last year due to two Achilles injuries. 

The Blue Devils entered the spring thinking they might potentially have another quarterback competition on their plate if Thomas Sirk recovered well from yet another Achilles injury.

But the 6-foot-4 signal caller has decided to transfer rather than compete with Daniel Jones for playing time.

Duke announced Sirk's decision to transfer Monday morning. The 2015 starter graduated last May, and the University is letting him transfer to any school outside the ACC and other than 2017 opponents Army, Baylor, N.C. Central and Northwestern. Since Sirk already graduated, he will be eligible to play right away after earning a master's degree from Duke in May.

“First and foremost, we are 100 percent supportive of Thomas and his decision to complete his eligibility at another school,” head coach David Cutcliffe said in a release. “I’ve said it many times before: Thomas is an incredible young man. He’s conscientious, dedicated and what I would consider the ultimate teammate due to his selflessness and leadership qualities. Thomas loves Duke. He and I have had great discussion regarding this decision, and his love for this university and everything it represents is what made this decision so difficult for him."

After leading the Blue Devils to an 8-5 record and their first bowl win in 54 years in December 2015, Sirk suffered a rupture of his left Achilles tendon Feb. 9, 2016, before partially tearing it again Aug. 25 during fall camp. His right Achilles tendon had previously ruptured, costing him the 2013 season, so the NCAA granted him a sixth year of eligibility last November.

If Sirk can stay healthy, he showed his ability to be an effective quarterback at the ACC level—his 285.7 total yards per game ranked third in 2015.

“When I joined the program in the spring of 2012, I never expected that I would leave here with two degrees and to become the man that I am today,” Sirk said in the release. “I am grateful that Coach Cutcliffe believed in me to play quarterback at the next level when not very many people did. I will carry with me the life lessons I learned both on and off the field and I’ll leave Duke University prepared to handle any situation that life could throw my way.”

One of the reasons for his decision to transfer is likely how effective Jones was at the end of the 2016 campaign—the rookie led Duke to its upset win against then-No. 17 North Carolina and improved throughout the season, making him the starter when the Blue Devils opened spring practice Feb. 3.

Duke's spring showcase will be March 4 as the Blue Devils get used to life without one of the program's mainstays and captains the past few years.

Share and discuss “Quarterback Thomas Sirk to transfer from Duke football for sixth year of eligibility” on social media.