Board of Trustees approves 4.3 percent increase in tuition for next academic year

The University's Board of Trustees has approved a 4.3 percent increase in 2017-18 undergraduate tuition.

Next year, tuition will be $51,720, compared to this year's $49,574. The total cost for next year—including housing and other fees—will be $68,298, up 3.9 percent from this year. The University's tuition has been rising at about a four percent pace for several years.

"Tuition encompasses a number of factors that make up a Duke education, including world class faculty, small classes, unique experiences like DukeEngage and a leading research library, among many other things, with costs that increase more quickly and steeply than inflation," wrote Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, in an email.

He noted that because tuition does not cover the full cost of a Duke education, the University also relies on income from the Duke Endowment and private philanthropies.

"All these sources help sustain the University’s commitment to meeting the full demonstrated need of students who receive financial assistance and making a Duke education accessible many," Schoenfeld wrote.

Tuition rates for Duke's graduate and professional schools in 2017-18 were also decided and can be viewed below:

• Divinity School: $23,250 (Master of Divinity), an increase of four percent from this year.
  • Fuqua School of Business: $65,665 (daytime MBA), up 3.9 percent.
  • Graduate School: $51,480 (Ph.D. programs), an increase of four percent.
  • Law School: $61,000, up 3.9 percent.
  • Nicholas School of the Environment: $39,000, up 4.7 percent.
  • Pratt School of Engineering: $52,488 (Master of Engineering Management Program), an increase of four percent.
  • Sanford School of Public Policy: $45,545 (Master of Public Policy), up 5.5 percent.
  • School of Medicine: $57,100, up 3.5 percent.
  • School of Nursing: $40,872, an increase of 3.9 percent.

The University has not yet finalized financial aid costs for the upcoming year, as aid packages are still being determined. Duke expects to spend about $143.9 million of institutional funds to support undergraduate financial aid during the current year.

"The Trustees pay significant attention to the cost of attendance because they are mindful of the burden college costs impose on families. Since Duke continues to invest in enriching opportunities for our students, the price of attendance does rise some," wrote President Richard Brodhead in an email. "But we have worked hard to mitigate increases, and to offset them with increased financial aid for families with need. In constant dollars, the cost of attending Duke has actually gone down year by year for students on need-based aid."

In addition to hiking tuition, the Board also approved a new master's degree in Interdisciplinary Data Science. This is designed to bring together students with statistics and computer science backgrounds as well as those from humanities and social sciences backgrounds.

Editor's note: This article was updated at 10:30 p.m. Monday to include a statement from Schoenfeld and 1:00 p.m. Wednesday to include a quote from Brodhead.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves 4.3 percent increase in tuition for next academic year” on social media.