Duke in the NBA: Irving named All-Star starter, former Blue Devils take over Clippers backcourt

<p>Jabari Parker was left off the Eastern Conference All-Star roster but has been one of the league's most improved players this season.</p>

Jabari Parker was left off the Eastern Conference All-Star roster but has been one of the league's most improved players this season.

One former Blue Devil was named to an All-Star roster last week, and several more are young rising stars in the NBA.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

Despite Cavaliers star Lebron James’ recent complaints about not having enough playmakers on the team, Irving continues to play like one of the best point guards in the league. The sixth-year guard is averaging 24.4 points per game to go along with 5.6 assists on a Cleveland team currently sitting at the top of the Eastern Conference standings.

Although the Cavaliers have dropped six of their last eight games, the former first overall pick is not to blame, averaging 24.8 points through those eight games and exploding for 49 points in a loss against the New Orleans Pelicans Jan. 23. Even if the Cavaliers fail to repeat as NBA champions this season, Irving seems to be the young cornerstone of the franchise for years to come.

Last Thursday, Irving was named a starter for the Eastern Conference in the NBA All-Star game that will take place Feb. 19, marking his fourth All-Star selection.

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks

Parker seems to have finally found his groove after tearing his ACL early in his rookie season and is meeting the expectations of a second overall pick. In his third year in the league, Parker is averaging 20.5 points and 5.9 rebounds in 34.3 minutes of action per game and is shooting 39.1 percent from deep.

Most of the attention around the Bucks surrounds the play of rising star Giannis Antetokounmpo, Parker’s statistics show that he is no sidekick. The 6-foot-8 forward is living up to the hype that surrounded him at Duke, but he was left off the Eastern Conference All-Star team when the full rosters were revealed Thursday.

Austin Rivers, Los Angeles Clippers

After being considered by many a draft bust based on his performance in his first four years in the league, Rivers has finally found a niche on his father’s team. The 6-foot-4 guard is averaging 11.9 points and 2.6 assists per game on the season, both career highs. With starting point guard Chris Paul out with a thumb injury, Rivers has seen his role increase and is averaging 18.4 points and 4.3 assists in his last 10 games.

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers

The Lakers have been lurking near the bottom of the league standings ever since Kobe Bryant’s decline, but a young core based around D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Ingram has the future looking promising for Los Angeles. Ingram has had a solid rookie season, and it seems like taking him second overall last summer will pay off for the Lakers.

The 6-foot-9 forward is averaging 8.1 points and 4.1 rebounds this season, but has struggled mightily in his last three games, combining to score six points on 2-of-23 shooting in 75 minutes.

Mason Plumlee, Portland Trail Blazers

Plumlee has been Portland’s starting center since the departures of Robin Lopez and LaMarcus Aldridge two summers ago, and the 6-foot-11 center has thrived in this role with an impressive all-around stat-line of 11.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game this season.

Plumlee has yet to have a triple-double this year but seems to be on the verge after coming close multiple times. Most recently, Plumlee recorded 10 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists in a win against the Boston Celtics Jan. 21. An excellent passer for a big man, the fourth-year pro is one of the bright spots on a struggling Portland squad.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

Redick makes up the second half of the Blue Devil backcourt that currently starts for the Clippers alongside Rivers. A prolific scorer in head coach Doc Rivers’ offense that spreads the floor, Redick is averaging 15.7 points this season and is knocking down 3-pointers at an efficient 43.7 percent clip. The 6-foot-4 guard has scored at least 17 points in eight of the Clippers' last 11 games, stepping up in Paul's absence.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Irving named All-Star starter, former Blue Devils take over Clippers backcourt” on social media.