President-elect Vincent Price attends Duke-Maine as Blue Devils mourn passing of former president Keith Brodie

<p>President-elect Vincent Price and his wife,&nbsp;Annette, attended Saturday's game along with current President Richard Brodhead.&nbsp;</p>

President-elect Vincent Price and his wife, Annette, attended Saturday's game along with current President Richard Brodhead. 

On an evening when two Blue Devil freshmen made their season debuts, it was only fitting that Duke's next president made his second major public appearance in as many days.

Vincent Price, provost at the University of Pennsylvania, was named Duke University's president-elect Friday morning, and he took in the Blue Devils' 94-55 win against Maine at Cameron Indoor Stadium Saturday alongside President Richard Brodhead. Price and his wife, Annette, received a standing ovation when they were introduced during the game's first media timeout.

But for Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, Friday was a day of mixed emotions.

Less than four hours after Price was named the 10th president in Duke history, Brodhead announced the passing of former president Keith Brodie.

Brodie served from 1985 to 1993 and was a close friend of Krzyzewski, who spoke at length about his memories of the former Duke leader at his postgame press conference. The Blue Devil coaching staff donned pins with black ribbons in honor of Brodie, Duke's uniforms had a black band on the shoulder and there was a moment of silence before Saturday's game. 

"Keith understood what he would call the levers of power throughout the university, where you could combine academia, medicine and sports," Krzyzewski said. "During his time, our school went from an outstanding southern institution to an outstanding national institution, and since then, it's become an outstanding global institution."

During Brodie's time as president, Duke captured its first ever team national title in 1986 in men's soccer, and in the same year, the Blue Devils reached their first men's basketball Final Four under Krzyzewski. 

Duke made six Final Four appearances during Brodie's eight-year tenure, capped by consecutive national championships in 1991 and 1992.

"We were not good friends. We were great friends," Krzyzewski said. "For me, he was an amazing mentor. As much as we’re in joy, we mourn the loss of this great man and empathize with his family.... That’s the most important thing."

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “President-elect Vincent Price attends Duke-Maine as Blue Devils mourn passing of former president Keith Brodie” on social media.