Where will you be on election night?

The Chronicle will be hosting several Facebook Live events starting at 6 p.m.

<p>Both the&nbsp;Public Policy Studies Majors Union and the political&nbsp;science department are hosting election night&nbsp;watch parties for students.&nbsp;</p>

Both the Public Policy Studies Majors Union and the political science department are hosting election night watch parties for students. 

To celebrate (or mourn) election day, faculty and students are preparing for the excitement with watch parties and pizza.

The Public Policy Studies Majors Union will be hosting a watch party in the Sanford School of Public Policy, featuring political experts and a performance from Duke University Improv. The political science department is also hosting an event in Rubenstein Library—complete with a panel discussion and free food and drinks. 

“[It’s great] to be in the environment where you get to enjoy the excitement with a lot of people,” said junior Amy Wang, vice president of Duke Democrats, which is one of several co-sponsors of the Sanford event. 

She compared the election watch party to being in Cameroon Indoor Stadium for a men's basketball game, in terms of excitement and anticipation.

Several students The Chronicle asked about their election plans said that they are attending one of the watch parties. Others, however, will tune in from their common rooms while doing homework.

“I’ll be studying for my physics test with CNN on,” said sophomore Sam Slack. “I’m sure there’s going to be a YouTube stream.”

Sophomore Harshil Garg, a resident advisor, said that he plans to watch the results with his residents. The Visions of Freedom living-learning community in Edens is also having its own watch party, which first-year Michael Tan said he will be attending.

Although all eyes are on the presidential contest, students are also looking forward to the results of races in North Carolina.

“It really could swing either way,” Wang said. “It’ll be really interesting to see how our work has impacted it.”

On the other hand, some, like junior Camila Vargas, are just excited “for it to be over.”

The political science department’s event in Rubenstein will include a panel discussion with John Aldrich, Pfizer-Pratt university professor of political science, David Rohde, Ernestine Friedl professor of political science and Michelle Whyman, visiting assistant professor of political science.

Junior Lisa Guraya, president of the Public Policy Studies Majors Union, said professors will also be present at the Sanford party. That includes Rohde, Michael Munger, professor of political science and Fritz Mayer, professor of political science, public policy and the environment.

“I think that the importance of the watch party is being with a community that is invested in the election and having conversations about it,” she said. 

For those who have not yet voted, Guraya said that the Duke Voting Coalition is arranging for student drivers to take people to the polls on Tuesday. They also have a list of students who are registered to vote—but have not done so yet—and are messaging them to make sure they have a plan for voting Tuesday, she added.

The Chronicle will be hosting several Facebook Live events Tuesday, starting with a conversation with Wang and junior Colin Duffy, chair of Duke College Republicans, at 6 p.m. 

Then, we will host an election preview with Mayer at 7 p.m., after which The Chronicle will be doing live interviews with students and professors at the Sanford watch party from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Lastly, there will be an election wrap-up at midnight. 

Share and discuss “Where will you be on election night?” on social media.