Parking and transportation

dsg

Have any questions about parking, buses, biking or PTS applications this year? Here’s what DSG is working on to improve the situation.

1. Can we get more parking in Blue Zone?

Last year, due to construction, workers were using many spots in the Blue Zone. DSG and PTS worked on ensuring that students did not get fined or towed when spots were hard to find. This year, parking capacity in the Blue Zone has improved—if space is not available at the front of the lot, the rear lots (including gravel Bay 9) often have availability.

In January, a new parking garage will be finished on the corner of Science Drive and Cameron Boulevard, which will reduce the demand for the Blue Zone by faculty and graduate/professional students. PTS anticipates that more spots will be available closer to the entrance of Blue Zone for undergraduates once this happens.

Moreover, once the construction on Towerview is complete, the C3 will be redirected to pick up and drop off students near the Blue Zone entrance to cut commuting time.

2. C1, C3, C4…what is the bus schedule?

The only change to the bus schedule this year was that PTS brought back the C2 (East-Central-West) instead of the C4/C5. DSG is working to ensure that bus scheduling better aligns with class times during peak hours. Additionally, C4 buses are available during peak class change times.

3. Why don’t bus drivers open the back doors of the bus?

In the past, bus drivers have traditionally opened all doors to allow students to enter and exit the vehicle as efficiently as possible. However, students reported multiple incidents of doors accidentally closing on them; a problem resulting from a blind spot in the bus, where drivers cannot fully see the back door. The new bus policy is to only open the front door for entry with back door/rear exit. Students should also be following bus policies such as going straight to the back of the bus for efficiency.

4. How can I use the bike sharing program?

Any student can sign up for Zagster, Duke’s bike sharing program, online here for $20 annually. Zagster will be expanding their locations on campus, looking into Science Drive and the new parking garage to make it even more convenient for students. PTS, Zagster and DSG have also worked to solve nearly all of the previous problems with Zagster. DSG has been working with RAs to introduce free Zagster tours to visit Durham. If you are interested in doing a Zagster tour for your group, let us know and we can set you up!

5. What’s up with Transloc? Free Ubers? An application for requesting Duke Vans?

PTS and DSG have been working on expanding Uber and van service for Duke students, and have been working on making sure that Transloc has the correct information. The Uber program, which was started last year, allows students to take free Ubers to the Lemur Center and the Duke Campus Farm. Students can find the code to redeem these Ubers by logging in with your Duke NetID and password here. Following on the success of this program, Duke has also joined up with RideCell to offer an app that allows student to request a Duke Van quickly and easily—as though they are calling an Uber! PTS and DSG are still looking into ways to expand the Uber program.

DSG’s Services Committee is excited to continue working with administrators to improve student life. If you have any additional questions about parking or suggestions for improving student services, please reach out to me at wjh18@duke.edu.

Will Hardee is the DSG Vice President of Services.

Share and discuss “Parking and transportation” on social media.