Duke Students and Workers in Solidarity protests worker mistreatment at Monday rally

<p>Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, removes a banner from The Commons.&nbsp;</p>

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, removes a banner from The Commons. 

Duke Students and Workers in Solidarity gathered for a rally Monday on the walkway behind West Union to protest the mistreatment of workers at Duke. 

The students—many of whom participated in the Allen Building protests last semester—engaged in chants such as "Tallman Trask has got to go" and "When our workers are under attack, what do we do? Stand up fight back." The event also included several speeches by organizers and a current Duke employee in Parking and Transportation. 

"We're here to fight for justice and dignity for the thousands of workers that serve Duke everyday," said Danielle Purifoy, a Ph.D. student in environmental policy. 

DSWS rose to prominence last Spring after a group of nine students occupied the second floor of the Allen Building from April 1 to April 8. The students launched their protest in response to a report in The Chronicle that Executive Vice President Tallman Trask hit a contract employee named Shelvia Underwood with his car and allegedly used a racial slur and to a second article outlining allegations of a hostile work environment in the PTS department.

DSWS members expressed outrage at the fact that Trask is still employed by the University. 

"We will not allow this to go unnoticed," Purifoy said. "We're not going quietly without a fight. We are still here."

Trask even made an accidental guest appearance at the rally, walking out of West Union during the proceedings.  

A main focus of the rally was an email sent by President Richard Brodhead to members of the Duke community Nov. 9 following the results of the presidential election, in which he emphasized that "the University remains steadfast in its commitment to diversity, inclusion and the free exchange of ideas."

Franciscas Akins, a current PTS employee, asked in his speech, "Where was the respect for Ms. Underwood?"

In an interview with The Chronicle, Akins explained his frustration with how the University promised to engage in dialogue with workers and student protesters regarding the treatment of workers but has since failed to do so. 

Junior Cindy Li also addressed Brodhead's email, noting the message was contradictory to the administration's previous treatment of workers. 

"How do you all look workers in the eye when you go to work?" Li said to the administration. "It's astonishing."

Li also addressed the recent presidential election and said that President-elect Donald Trump represents white supremacy and worker abuse. 

Another main focus was the removal of a DSWS sign, which had been hung from the top floor of West Union over the plaza. Junior Jazmynne Williams, another member of DSWS, criticized the Duke administration for taking down the sign without consulting the students. 

"When we left the building, we had demands," Williams said. "We are still just as committed."

Li echoed the sentiment, noting that DSWS has been using their time this semester to building a stable internal structure to ensure that their efforts will continue after they graduate. 

Purifoy explained that DSWS decided to host the rally both in response to Trump's presidential election victory and Brodhead's "hypocritical" email. She said that the protest was a way for students to direct their frustration with recent political events into something productive. 

The group will be hosting an information session to recruit new members Thursday at the Biddle Music Library. 

"I hope that those of you who are willing and able will join us in this fight," Li said. 

Share and discuss “Duke Students and Workers in Solidarity protests worker mistreatment at Monday rally” on social media.