Beyond the arc: Duke men's basketball vs. Rhode Island

<p>Luke Kennard poured in a game-high 24 points on 8-of-11 shooting Sunday.</p>

Luke Kennard poured in a game-high 24 points on 8-of-11 shooting Sunday.

Despite playing their third game in the last six days and relying on their starters to play much of the contest, the top-ranked Blue Devils made easy work of No. 21 Rhode Island with a 75-65 victory in the championship game of the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off. Duke managed to hold its own in the paint despite playing a four-guard lineup and used a strong shooting performance from sophomore Luke Kennard to move to 4-1 on the season. 

Revisiting the three keys to the game:

• Get the ball into Grayson Allen’s hands: Although the preseason All-American continues to battle injuries, Allen remains a playmaker for Duke. Despite finishing with just 10 points and missing all five of his shots from beyond the arc, the junior attacked the basket and used his penetration to set up looks for Kennard and senior Matt Jones. Allen and graduate student Amile Jefferson also showed a nice two-man game at times in the second half that led to decent looks near the basket. 
  • Let Luke Kennard shine: The sophomore guard continued to be the most consistent offensive player for Duke and finished with a team-high 24 points on 8-of-11 shooting. After the Blue Devils struggled to score in the first 20 minutes, Kennard came out of halftime looking for his shot and led the way with 12 second-half points. The Franklin, Ohio, native's hot-hand eventually forced the Rams to look to trap the guard, leading to open shots for Kennard's teammates.  
  • Continue to play lockdown defense on the perimeter: Duke held Rhode Island's best player E.C. Matthews to a season-low nine points and clamped down on the Rams' collection of guards. Although some of Rhode Island's struggles on offense can be attributed to a rough shooting afternoon, the Rams were also stymied by the Blue Devil man-to-man defense and looked befuddled on a couple of possessions against the Duke zone. 

Three key stats:

• Duke finishes just 6-of-21 from deep: The Blue Devils missed their first eight looks from beyond the arc, but proved that they are capable of getting points in different ways. Jones finished 2-of-7 from downtown and Allen and freshman guard Frank Jackson combined to miss all nine of their attempts. 
  • The Blue Devils end up with a 36-35 rebound advantage: Undermanned and undersized, Duke was at its scrappy best Sunday afternoon and battled hard to end up with a slight advantage on the glass. Along with Jefferson's team-leading 15 rebounds, Kennard had seven boards and Allen finished with five to make up for the limitations of an injured Chase Jeter. 
  • The Blue Devils never trail: With Duke's short rotation and the Rams playing very close to home, many thought Rhode Island could upend the Blue Devils Sunday. But the Blue Devils played one of their best games of the season and never let the Rams tie the game after the opening tip. Duke countered every Rhode Island run with a run of its own before using a 17-4 run that spanned both halves to pull away.    

Three key plays:

• 5:07 remaining, first half: After nailing a corner triple off a nice pass by Allen, Kennard appears to get tangled up with a fan sitting courtside. Although the sophomore spoke with the officials about the incident, it was not immediately clear what he was complaining about. Kennard appeared a bit frazzled during the next couple possessions as the Rams cut the deficit to 25-24 before Duke went on a run to end the half.
  • 2:08 remaining, first half: Allen hits a runner in the lane to put him above the 1,000 point mark during his Duke career. Allen has not started the season as well as many expected, but became the 65th player in program history to reach this accomplishment. 
  • 16:06 remaining, second half: Jefferson finishes through contact after a crafty feed by Allen for a three-point play. The play pushed the Blue Devil lead to 42-28 and drew a crucial third foul on Rhode Island big man Hassan Martin.

And the Duke game ball goes to.... Amile Jefferson 

With Jeter hobbled due to a sprained ankle and sophomore Antonio Vrankovic simply not ready to play major minutes, Jefferson was Duke's only true post presence heading into this game. The graduate student managed to carry most of the load down low himself with 17 points and 15 rebounds. Jefferson kept Rhode Island's Kuran Iverson and Martin off the glass and took advantage of the duo with an array of spin moves and up-and-unders in the low post. 

And the Rhode Island game ball goes to.... Jared Terrell

The 6-foot-3 guard took advantage to the extra attention paid to Matthews and finished with a season-high 22 points on 8-of-15 shooting from the floor. Terrell continued to attack the Blue Devil defense and put pressure on Blue Devil guard Frank Jackson, who picked up three first-half fouls. Terrell received a lot of playing time in Matthews' absence a year ago and showed that he is capable of putting up points when the Rams' star has an off night.  

Share and discuss “Beyond the arc: Duke men's basketball vs. Rhode Island” on social media.