Stock watch: Duke field hockey remains among nation's best

<p>Senior&nbsp;Heather Morris scored a late game-winning goal Sunday against&nbsp;Boston University to lift the Blue Devils to 10-1.</p>

Senior Heather Morris scored a late game-winning goal Sunday against Boston University to lift the Blue Devils to 10-1.

The bell of the Blue Zone stock exchange has rung again, meaning it's time to take a look at who is rising and falling with their performances for Blue Devil sports teams. Each week, the Blue Zone will look at whose stock is on the rise and whose stock has taken a hit from the week in the world of Duke athletics.

Bull Market—Trending Up

Duke women’s sports: Another undefeated weekend for two Duke women’s teams is in the books as the successful fall for soccer and field hockey continue. The highest ranked of these teams—field hockey at second in the nation—swept the Boston schools at home during the weekend, defeating 15th-ranked Boston College Friday and No. 13 Boston University Sunday. After drumming the Eagles 6-2, the Blue Devils were up for more of a challenge against the Terriers. Tied at one for a majority of the match, senior forward Heather Morris came to the rescue with a 69th-minute game winner to lift Duke to a 2-1 victory. The win puts the Blue Devils at 10-1 on the season with an undefeated 3-0 record in the ACC. They look to continue their unbeaten run at No. 4 Syracuse Friday night.

The ninth-ranked women’s soccer team dispatched Syracuse at home on Sunday with a second-straight 4-0 win behind two goals each from freshman Ella Stevens and senior Toni Payne. The win puts Duke (8-2-2, 3-0-1 ACC) in a great position on top of the league as they head down the stretch of conference play.

The volleyball team suffered its first ACC loss Friday night at Notre Dame in four sets, but rebounded with a convincing sweep of Louisville 25-19, 25-12, 25-21 this weekend backed by strong performances from the team’s star middle blockers, senior Jordan Tucker and sophomore Leah Meyer. The Blue Devils will look to stay near the top of the conference standings with wins against Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech this weekend.

Leona Maguire: Nine birdies through the first two rounds of the Windy City Classic at Glen View Golf Club in Chicago propelled the junior from Cavan, Ireland, to a third-place finish in a loaded field of golfers. Maguire was in second place with a score of eight under par through two rounds, but bogeyed three times while shooting even par in Wednesday's final round. Maguire posted her second straight top-five finish to open the season and was just two strokes behind champion Andrea Lee from Stanford.

Trending Down

Knee Health: After last week’s Duke football game against Notre Dame, in which redshirt senior safety DeVon Edwards suffered both a torn ACL and MCL, another notable Duke star has had surgery on their knee.

The No. 1 overall recruit according to ESPN, freshman Harry Giles underwent a left knee arthroscopy Monday. Although Giles has torn the ACL in both knees in the past, this surgery is unrelated to those problems and is only expected to sideline him for about six weeks. But questions linger about the durability of the Winston-Salem, N.C. native, for his career both at Duke and beyond. Unlike the football squad, though, the basketball team need only look to their bench for another five-star recruit to fill in during the power forward's absence.

Share and discuss “Stock watch: Duke field hockey remains among nation's best” on social media.