Recruiting roundup: Prospects flock to Durham for Countdown to Craziness

With Countdown to Craziness around the corner, the Blue Devils will host three of their top targets in the Class of 2017 this weekend. 

Five-star recruits Wendell Carter, Gary Trent Jr. and Quade Green will all be in attendance when Duke competes in its annual intra-squad scrimmage and will get a glimpse of what it is like to play in front of the Cameron Crazies.

Carter and Trent Jr. both attended Countdown to Craziness last year and are reportedly leaning toward Duke. The two have spoken extensively about signing as a package deal, and it is becoming increasingly likely that the Blue Devils will come away with the No. 3 and No. 8 prospects, respectively, in the 2017 ESPN 100.

Earlier this week, Green listed Duke as one of the final five programs he is considering. The senior is the Blue Devils’ top target at the point guard position and could be the type of floor general head coach Mike Krzyzewski will need next season.

But Duke appears to be fading in the race to land Green, as 247Sports’ Crystal Ball now gives Syracuse a 79 percent chance to sign the five-star guard.

The Blue Devils also offered four-star point guard Tremont Waters a scholarship earlier this year, but Waters committed to Georgetown Wednesday. If Duke cannot land Green, expect the Blue Devils to turn their attention to point guard Matt Coleman, who the team offered a scholarship to in September.

Before the festivities Saturday night, Duke visited five-star forward Kevin Knox early Thursday. Knox is currently the No. 7 prospect in the Class of 2017 and is still considering Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Florida State, in addition to the Blue Devils. The highly-touted prospect will make his visit to Duke next weekend.

Duke will also use the scene Saturday night to impress its targets in the Class of 2018.

Five-star forward Cameron Reddish and four-star point guard Tre Jones will be in attendance at the event. Reddish is the No. 4 prospect in the 2018 ESPN 60 and holds offers from almost all of the top programs in the nation. The forward has impressive size for his position and is one of the most athletic swingmen in his class.

Jones—the younger brother of former Blue Devil guard Tyus Jones—attended Countdown to Craziness a year ago and holds an offer from Duke. The Blue Devils' coaching staff will hope that family ties can sway Jones enough to follow in his brother's footsteps.

Five-star power forward Zion Williamson will also make a visit to campus this weekend. The high school junior is the third-ranked prospect in his class and will visit N.C. State Friday before heading to Durham Saturday. Williamson remains one of the Blue Devils' top targets in the Class of 2018 and could set the table for another loaded Duke recruiting class. 

Share and discuss “Recruiting roundup: Prospects flock to Durham for Countdown to Craziness” on social media.