Rapper K Camp to headline Black Student Alliance-sponsored 'Unapologetically Black' concert

The concert will be held in Page Auditorium Oct. 27

<p>Rapper K Camp is known for his songs&nbsp;"Cut Her Off" and "Comfortable."</p>

Rapper K Camp is known for his songs "Cut Her Off" and "Comfortable."

American rapper K Camp will headline a concert sponsored by the Black Student Alliance, the group announced Wednesday.

K Camp will be the featured artist of the Oct. 27 event in Page Auditorium titled "Unapologetically Black." The show is sponsored by BSA as part of the Abele Series, which seeks to honor black architect Julian Abele's work at Duke. K Camp is known for his songs "Cut Her Off" and "Comfortable," the former of which received two nominations at the BET Hip Hop Awards in 2014.

"It's a stressful time for a lot of students," said senior Tiana Horn, president of BSA. "This will be a time to relax and celebrate making it this far into the semester."

Horn noted that the concert will serve as an informal celebration for the naming of Abele Quadrangle and give students a chance to honor freedom of expression in the black community.

The concert will include a diverse array of entertainment including saxophone music, spoken word and rap music. Student performers including sophomore Symphony Webber, senior Edgeri Hudlin and group Spoken Verb will be featured.

In addition, two videos will be played—one showcasing Julian Abele and another explaining the water crisis in Flint, Michigan. BSA will be donating $1,935—in honor of the year 1935 when the Chapel was completed—to the Flint Child Health and Development Fund.

Horn said that BSA was the driving force behind the concert, although other groups such as Duke University Union have helped with the planning. She noted that in planning the event, BSA wanted to have a diversity of expression on stage.

"Rap music isn't as celebrated as more classical forms, but we wanted to create an outlet that really showcased this kind of expression," she said.

She explained that K Camp was chosen as the lead artist because he was an unexpected pick and is popular among students.

"We felt like this was someone who a lot of students enjoyed, especially within the black community," Horn said.

Share and discuss “Rapper K Camp to headline Black Student Alliance-sponsored 'Unapologetically Black' concert” on social media.