Making the grade: Duke football vs. Louisville

<p>Breon Borders helped Duke's secondary shut down Lamar Jackson in the passing game, but was whistled for a costly roughing the kicker penalty late in the game.</p>

Breon Borders helped Duke's secondary shut down Lamar Jackson in the passing game, but was whistled for a costly roughing the kicker penalty late in the game.

Duke put a scare in No. 7 Louisville on the road Friday night, losing 24-14 in a game the Blue Devils had a chance to win until a costly roughing the kicker penalty with two minutes remaining. Duke's offense dominated time of possession to shorten the game and keep Heisman Trophy frontrunner Lamar Jackson and the Cardinals' offense off the field, a formula that nearly produced a monumental upset.

Offense: B

Pass: Quarterback Daniel Jones continued to make smart passes and maintain possession of the ball after being intercepted five times two weeks ago against Virginia. Jones’ efficient 14-for-21 passing performance marked the fifth time he completed more than 60 percent of his passes this season. Although Jones’ 129 passing yards were far below his season average of 226.2 yards per contest, he was able to control the Blue Devils' offense and keep them in a game Duke entered as a five-touchdown underdog. Jones also threw for two touchdowns Friday, with a 20-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Johnathan Lloyd cutting Louisville's lead to just three points with 6:34 to play in the fourth quarter, keeping the Blue Devils in contention through the final possession.

Rush: With running back Jela Duncan back in the mix after missing time during the last two games due to injury, Duke was able to use the running game effectively on early downs in order to set Jones up with shorter third down situations. Duncan and backup running back Shaun Wilson carried the load for the Blue Devils, gaining 81 yards on 30 carries Friday. Those two- and three-yard pickups on early downs were key to Duke’s ability to convert 8-of-16 third-down opportunities. The Blue Devils also picked up a crucial first down on a three-yard sneak by backup quarterback Parker Boehme on fourth-and-one at the Duke 34-yard line. That run kept the fourth-quarter drive alive, and the Blue Devils scored a few plays later to trim the Cardinals' lead to 17-14.

X’s and O’s: Although Duke was outgained 469-239, the Blue Devils' success Friday resulted from their ability to control the pace of the game. Duke held the ball for more than 37 minutes, versus just 22 minutes for Louisville, and its ability to move the ball and milk clock with a steady diet of screen passes and short runs took its toll on the Cardinals’ defense late in the game, as the Blue Devils gave Louisville all it could handle on the road.

Defense: A

Pass: It’s no easy task having to contain the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy in Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson. Yet Duke was able to shut down the Cardinals’ passing game Friday, holding a player who entered the night averaging 325 passing yards per contest to 181 through the air, completing just 13 of his 26 attempts. The Blue Devils’ defense really stepped up late in the fourth quarter, as they forced Louisville to attempt a 46-yard field goal after stopping Jackson on third-and-22 at the Duke 29-yard line before the special teams penalty extended the drive.

Rush: The Blue Devils struggled to keep Jackson in the pocket Friday, allowing him to rush for 144 yards on 21 carries. Junior running back Jeremy Smith tacked on another 97 yards, including an explosive 80-yard touchdown run, which put the Cardinals up by two scores in the third quarter. Although Louisville gained more than 280 yards on the ground, the Blue Devils deserve credit for forcing running back Brandon Radcliff to fumble on the Duke 12-yard line late in the third quarter. Junior safety Alonzo Saxton II recovered the fumble.

X’s and O’s: Louisville entered Friday’s game as the highest scoring team in the country, averaging more than 58 points per game. But Duke held the Cardinals’ offense to just 24 points, their lowest scoring output of the season. The Blue Devils also played their best defense when it mattered most. Down by three late in the fourth quarter, Duke forced a seven-yard loss on first down at the Blue Devil 17-yard line and followed that up with a sack of Jackson and a pass breakup to force a fourth-and-22 with 2:00 left.

Special Teams: C+

Duke's defense put the team in position to have a chance at a late game-winning drive with two minutes left, but cornerback Breon Borders dove into Evan O'Hara's kicking leg trying to block a 46-yard field goal attempt that sailed wide left. The penalty flag for roughing the kicker extended the Cardinals' drive that ended in a touchdown to put the game out of reach.

Kicker A.J. Reed’s growing pains continued to be felt by the Blue Devils, as he missed a 40-yard field goal which would have tied the game at 10 right before halftime. Reed is now just 3-of-7 on field-goal attempts this season and 1-of-5 on kicks of more than 30 yards as he struggles to replace former All-ACC kicker Ross Martin who graduated last spring. During his four years at Duke, Martin converted more than 85 percent of his attempts in three of his four seasons.

On the other hand, redshirt freshman punter Austin Parker continued his strong play Friday, averaging more than 50 yards on three punts. Unfortunately for Duke, Parker left the game late in the third quarter with a broken clavicle, forcing backup quarterback Parker Boehme to take a punt deep in Duke territory. Walk-on punter Danny Stirt also kicked a 41-yard punt in the third quarter.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “Making the grade: Duke football vs. Louisville” on social media.