Five more years: Larry Moneta reflects on time as vice president for student affairs, looks forward to future

<p>&nbsp;</p>

Known around campus by his moniker "LMo," Larry Moneta is a fixture at Duke. After serving as vice president for student affairs since 2001, Moneta was reappointed to a fourth five-year term lasting through June 30, 2021, Provost Sally Kornbluth announced last week. The Chronicle spoke with Moneta about what he has learned at Duke so far and his plans for the future.

The Chronicle: What are your feelings about the reappointment?

Larry Moneta: I'm obviously honored. It's a privilege to be a part of the Duke community for the last 15 years. [I'm] thrilled to have the opportunity to continue the work that we've been doing and work with an amazing array of students, faculty and staff here at Duke.

TC: There were rumors that after the completion of West Union, you would retire. Why are you still here?

LM: Yes, I feel a sense of accomplishment, but the work to be done is endless. There's certainly more work that I'm interested in doing particularly as it pertains to the replacement of Central Campus and with new housing opportunities. I'm determined to continue to make a difference in eradicating sexual misconduct from this campus and equally passionate about a climate of inclusion and belongingness for all of the diverse members of our community. I'm deeply focused on graduate and professional student life and wanting graduate and professional students to be full members of the Duke community and to be supported in all the ways they want to and need to be supported. I care about what's going on at [Duke Kunshan University] and hope to have a role in the enhancing Duke's incredible ambitions in China.

TC: Regarding housing, what are the efforts to evaluate how the current housing model affects student life?

LM: We are doing that all the time. I don't know about the establishment of a particular committee, but we are in dialogue with [Duke Student Government], we are in dialogue with residents and our selective and non-selective communities. We are in dialogue with the Board of Trustees. I think the approach to housing at Duke is deeply under further discussion. But we have a commitment to the house model as the model we are proceeding with, so I'm not aware any desire to reconsider those plans.

TC: What have you learned in your position thus far?

LM: I've learned that change takes a long time. That buildings are only as good as the things that happen within them. That students are extraordinarily smart and wise and given the right kind of environment and the right kind of support, can exceed every expectation, can do amazing things. That for us to be truly successful requires a partnership between the students, the faculty and staff. That it's all about being a caring community.

TC: How will you apply what you've learned thus far to how you will approach the next five years?

LM: Hopefully, through some things that have worked, like being aware of needs, being attentive to what people have to say, continuing to listen more than to speak, seeking consultation from a broad array, not just elected officials, not just a small set of student leaders, but trying to listen to very diverse, very distinctive voices. Being tactical while being strategic. Being efficient with the limited resources that we have. Trying to set some discrete and achievable goals and trying to exceed them.

TC: What areas would you like to give more attention to in the future?

LM: Our work with sexual violence has to be better than it's been. I think our work with creating a campus of inclusion and belongingness needs more work. I think those are the highest on my list right now.

TC: Over the past year, there have been many global tragedies. How do you approach sending messages about those in ways that are relevant to students?

LM: I wish I could tell you there's a formula. There's not. I work with bright and gifted people. I get consultation when I hear or read or see a tragedy somewhere. I'm on the phone immediately with a number of people, trying to sort out who might be affected and to an extent, might this affect the lives of our students. I've also done this for well over 40 years, so I have I guess some antenna that I rely on to tell me this one really rises to a level of 'I need to say something.' I don't always get it right. I'd rather err on the side of speaking out more frequently than less frequently. It's getting harder and harder because it seems like there's a tragedy a day that could be reflected on.

TC: What are your thoughts on the role of students in this election?

LM: I'm a child of the 60s. I started college just a few months after Martin Luther King's assassination and just before Robert Kennedy's assassination. My whole upbringing is one that is empowered by being an activist. Both of my parents were Holocaust survivors. I come from an environment in which oppression defined my family's experience, in which activism also defined my youth and my college experience. I'm a strong proponent of student activism. Regardless of the perspective or position, I would always prefer an environment in which students are being very active in expressing their thoughts and trying to convey messages. First and foremost, what I want students to do is vote. I hope in general, our students will be an active group and try to advance our nation and our world. So many of the most important movements in America—women's rights, gay rights, the presence of black students on our campus, Latinx students—all of that, I believe, were derived of activism of people before us. So much of that took place because of the experiences on college campuses in America. I still believe college campuses are very the place in which important movements are birthed and nurtured. I'd like to see our students be a strong part of that.

TC: Are you supporting a presidential candidate over another?

LM: I am.

TC: Would you like to say who?

LM: No. I do keep my professional and my personal life separate. Not invisible, as you probably know. But I believe in this conversation like with The Chronicle, it would make more sense for me to focus on the issues than on a particular partisan position.

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Share and discuss “Five more years: Larry Moneta reflects on time as vice president for student affairs, looks forward to future” on social media.