Early voting at Duke off to a strong start

<p>Members of the Duke community cast ballots Thursday at the Devil's Den,&nbsp;one of 13 locations currently open in Durham County for early voting from Oct. 27 to Nov. 5</p>

Members of the Duke community cast ballots Thursday at the Devil's Den, one of 13 locations currently open in Durham County for early voting from Oct. 27 to Nov. 5

927 people voted on the first day of early voting at the Devil's Den on Duke's campus. 

Site supervisor Judy Moore said voting went smoothly, despite problems early in the day with Parking and Transportation Services telling voters they were not allowed to park in certain lots near the site—an issue that was later resolved. 

"I thought it went great," Moore said. "We had a slow but steady rate of people coming in. I don't think we had any more than 19 people in the line at any point, but usually it was much less than that and people got helped very quickly." 

She added that a mix of Durham residents and Duke students came out to vote Thursday. 

The Devil's Den is one of 13 locations currently open in Durham County for early voting from Oct. 27 to Nov. 5. On election day, voters can only cast a ballot at their assigned precinct. 

Since early voting began Oct. 20, 56,078 ballots have been cast in Durham County overall, more than 24 percent of the Durham's total voters. Of Durham's 13 sites, Duke's returned the fifth largest total votes. In 2012, 9,174 voters used Duke's voting location when it was at the West Union. 

"I hope the next nine days go as smoothly," Moore said. 

For those who are already registered, no photo identification is required to vote at The Devil's Den. Due to a federal court ruling earlier this year, same-day registration is now available as well, which requires either identification proving Durham residency or a student ID for Duke students living on campus. 

Share and discuss “Early voting at Duke off to a strong start” on social media.