Chairman for NC GOP Robin Hayes talks 2016 election season, future of Republican Party

<p>Robin Hayes said that the media overplays tensions that exist in the GOP during a town hall presented by The Chronicle Thursday.&nbsp;</p>

Robin Hayes said that the media overplays tensions that exist in the GOP during a town hall presented by The Chronicle Thursday. 

Robin Hayes, Trinity '67 and chairman of the North Carolina Republican Party, visited campus Thursday for a town hall moderated by The Chronicle. 

Hayes served in Congress from 1999 to 2009 representing North Carolina’s 8th congressional district and was the Republican nominee for governor in 1996. Last April, he became chairman of the NC Republican Party. During the event, Hayes discussed the controversial House Bill 2, police brutality and the future of the GOP with onstage audience members from The Chronicle's Editorial Board and Opinion section.  

“I think that politics can be different, can be better, can lead to much better outcomes than where we have found ourselves today,” Hayes said.

Regarding HB2, Hayes noted that much of the rhetoric surrounding the law was misdirected and made North Carolina look discriminatory.

“North Carolina has a history of not discriminating and providing full protection of law to everybody,” he said. “The way the whole thing was framed was just tragic... HB2 has been thrown out there to distract you.”

Senior Addison Merriman from the Opinion section asked Hayes about the future of the GOP, given the ideological and political divisions that exist. Hayes responded by talking about the media’s role in overplaying tensions that exist, nothing the media's love for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Merriman also talked about how the GOP plans to appeal to independents with a candidate like Donald Trump. Hayes noted that Trump was not his first choice from the Republican field.

“Clinton has a rap sheet longer than my arm—can’t be trusted, judgement is bad, one fabrication and falsehood after another,” Hayes said. “How this will work out I cannot tell you. I have been emcee at every Donald Trump rally… [It’s] a tremendous crowd. They believe it is time to change the way Washington doesn't work. These are people that work hard and care about each other and are going to vote for change. Change is Donald Trump.”

Sophomore Sydney Roberts, a member of the Editorial Board, and Hayes exchanged heated remarks over recent events in Charlotte, regarding the police and protesters. Roberts asked about the GOP’s commitment to black lives.

“I think maybe you’ve missed the greater point—protection and honoring the value of life is critically important,” Hayes said. “The situation in Charlotte was unfortunately justified based on actions the suspect took... I am a firm supporter of protecting law enforcement officers, [but also] holding them accountable.”

The town hall ended with Hayes discussing the GOP’s views on bipartisanship. Ultimately, he said that it is up to voters to act on the change they want to see.

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Share and discuss “Chairman for NC GOP Robin Hayes talks 2016 election season, future of Republican Party” on social media.