This week in Duke history: Slaughter steps down to tend to his farm

<p>Years before Mike Krzyzewski ever coached a game in Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Grateful Dead had a concert there in 1977.</p>

Years before Mike Krzyzewski ever coached a game in Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Grateful Dead had a concert there in 1977.

It’s hard to believe, but there was a time when coaches at Duke—head coaches—only coached part-time.

Enos “Country” Slaughter, who was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame after winning four World Series in his 19-year career, coached the Blue Devils' baseball team from 1971 to 1977. But on September 7, 1976, he announced plans to step down because something was not working.

He had a farm 45 minutes away in Roxboro, N.C., and he had been trying to run it while also serving as head coach at Duke.

As then-sports editor John Feinstein—now a renowned sportswriter and New York Times bestselling author—wrote September 10, 1976, “He has a responsibility [to his farm] that he cannot shirk.”

Slaughter coached the team that spring in 1977 while the Blue Devils transitioned to having a full-time head coach, and Tom D'Armi—who was Slaughter's top assistant in 1977—took over for him to start the 1978 season.

There was a lot going on in The Chronicle that day. Beneath the article about Slaughter is an advertisement for beer distribution, a classified on page 2 asks for a “neat, attractive cashier” and on the back page is an advertisement for the upcoming Grateful Dead concert at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Tickets still on sale!

Share and discuss “This week in Duke history: Slaughter steps down to tend to his farm” on social media.