It's a ruff life: Duke Gardens to ban dogs in 2017

<p>In the past few years, the Duke Gardens has faced issues such as&nbsp;dog waste and plants being dug up.</p>

In the past few years, the Duke Gardens has faced issues such as dog waste and plants being dug up.

The Duke Gardens are a great place to visit—unless you're a dog. 

Beginning January 2017, the Sarah P. Duke Gardens will ban dogs and other animals from its premises, the University announced Friday. The Gardens’ advisory board and University officials made the decision because of the growing threat that dogs pose to plant life, explained William LeFevre, executive director of the Gardens.

“Most of us here at the Gardens have dogs and love dogs, but we need to protect our collection,” he said.

Due to the rapid growth of Durham and the increasing popularity of the Gardens, the number of dogs visiting the grounds has risen exponentially in the past few years, LeFevre explained. This had led to problems such as dog waste and plants being dug up.

In addition, he noted that dogs “snarling and snapping” at each other has become problematic for visitors, although he said is not aware of any dog attacks.

The decision was considered and debated for the past five years, said Bobby Mottern, director of horticulture. Although the Gardens has allowed pets since opening in 1939, it is currently the only botanical garden in the United States that permits animals to visit.

But the move is not unprecedented. Two specialized gardens within the Duke Gardens—the Charlotte Brody Discovery Garden and the Blomquist Garden of Native Plants—already ban dogs. 

“It’s not just a lot of pretty plants,” Mottern said. “It’s a very important collection that we curate like a museum would curate a piece of artwork.”

LeFevre noted that the permit sports equipment and kites are also prohibited, in line with the Gardens' goal to promote passive, not active, recreation.

He said that he does not expect the policy to decrease the number of visitors—about 350,000 annually—and that most people he has spoken with have understood the reasons behind the new regulation.

“If people were coming to the garden specifically as a place to exercise their dog, that’s not necessarily the mission,” LeFevre said.

Although dogs are the primary concern, they are not the only animals who have previously explored the Gardens but will no longer be able to do so. Mottern recounted visitors bringing ducks and ferrets on leashes. Similarly, LeFevre said that iguanas and rabbits have also taken strolls through the grounds.

Mottern explained that the Gardens will put up temporary signs to inform visitors of the new policy. LeFevre noted the challenge of enforcing such a rule due to the Gardens' approximately 55 acres and 12 entrances. He said he recognizes that there will be an adjustment period.

“It’s not like we’re going to have dog police in the garden,” he said.

In the long run, LeFervre explained that he wants the Duke Gardens to become recognized as one of the best botanical gardens in the Southeast United States.

Valentina Espinoza, a visitor in the Gardens, said that she understands the reasoning behind the decision.

“I agree with it because dogs would get the place dirty,” she said. “People are not that responsible with them.”

But Jan Boitz, who went for a walk in the Gardens while visiting her cousin at Duke, said that there must be a better solution to the issues than banning all dogs from the Gardens. She proposed a kiosk that would dispense plastic bags for owners to pick up their dogs’ waste.

Dogs are crucial parts of many people’s lives, said Javier Cedeno, another visitor.

“I wouldn't agree with it,” he said. “To me, dogs are more like a person. I would like to bring my dog wherever I go.”

LeFevre acknowledged that many people have strong attachments to their pets and lamented that growing problems have made the decision unavoidable.

“Dogs keep us sane, and it’s just unfortunate the the impact of dogs in the Gardens on visitors had made it necessary for us to take this action,” he said.

Share and discuss “It's a ruff life: Duke Gardens to ban dogs in 2017” on social media.