Duke in the NFL: Previewing the 2016-17 season

<p>Jamison Crowder benefitted from injuries to other receivers to have a strong rookie season and is slotted as a starter for the Washington Redskins entering 2016.</p>

Jamison Crowder benefitted from injuries to other receivers to have a strong rookie season and is slotted as a starter for the Washington Redskins entering 2016.

With the 2016 NFL season kicking off Thursday night, five Duke alumni find themselves on 53-man rosters. The Blue Zone previews the season ahead for these former Blue Devils.

Jamison Crowder, Washington Redskins:

After hauling in only one reception in each of the first two games of his career of 2015, the former fourth-round pick began to resemble his college self during the next seven games. Crowder had at least four receptions and 40 yards in each of those contests, including an eight-reception, 87-yard game against the Atlanta Falcons October 11.

Unfortunately for Crowder, his steep increase in targets was mostly due to injuries in the Redskins’ receiving core, and his numbers fell off when other players returned to the starting lineup. Despite his small stature at 5-foot-8, Crowder still caught at least one pass in every game of his rookie year, proving that he has the skillset to compete at a higher level. He is slotted as a starting wide receiver and will likely receive more snaps and targets in the upcoming season.

Jeremy Cash, Carolina Panthers:

Following season-ending wrist surgery at Duke in 2015, Jeremy Cash has returned to the football field bigger than ever. When the Panthers signed him as an undrafted free agent, the 205-pound safety was deemed too small to play professional football. Cash responded to this criticism by eating throughout his recovery to transition from being a safety in college to being a linebacker, which paid off Saturday when he made the Panthers' 53-man roster after gaining 15 pounds in the offseason. Although Cash currently sits near the bottom of the depth chart, his versatility and ability to play in a hybrid role could help him get some snaps if a few Panther defenders get injured.

Laken Tomlinson, Detroit Lions:

In 2015, Tomlinson became the first Blue Devil to be drafted in the first round since Mike Junkin in 1987. Despite starting 14 games during his rookie season, the 6-foot-3, 312-pound left guard was inconsistent as his minutes fluctuated. But the Lions got rid of offensive lineman Manny Ramirez in the offseason, clearing some space on the depth chart for Tomlinson to work out his growing pains.

The Lions have a youthful offensive line entering the 2016 season, and Tomlinson is expected to lead the charge. Four of the starting offensive linemen on Detroit's current depth chart are 25 years old or younger, so Tomlinson should get his chance to shine in 2016.

Ross Cockrell, Pittsburgh Steelers:

After a quiet rookie season with the Buffalo Bills in which he only saw 11 snaps, Cockrell turned things around with his move to Pittsburgh. In his second season, the former fourth-round pick saw dramatic increases in both his playing time and production. Cockrell had just one tackle in 2014, but finished with 34 solo tackles and two interceptions last year.

With his strong play in 2015, it looks as though Cockrell may become a mainstay in Pittsburgh. The Charlotte native is currently listed as a first-string cornerback for the upcoming season and hopes to maintain his recent success with the storied franchise.

Vincent Rey, Cincinnati Bengals:

Following a breakout 2014 season, Rey turned in another top-notch defensive season in 2015, racking up a career-high 64 solo tackles at outside linebacker for a strong Bengals defense. His high point of the season came in mid-October, when he accumulated 28 tackles in a two-week span.

Rey’s 2015 season proved that the year before was not a fluke, and the Bengals rewarded Rey in March with a three-year deal valued at $11.5 million, showing they have high expectations for their 29-year-old veteran for years to come.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Previewing the 2016-17 season” on social media.