Black community at Duke comes together in second annual Black Convocation Thursday night

<p>Speakers at the Black Convocation Thursday night emphasized the importance of maintaining a strong black community at Duke.&nbsp;</p>

Speakers at the Black Convocation Thursday night emphasized the importance of maintaining a strong black community at Duke. 

Student leaders, faculty and staff presented a vision of further empowerment and unity for the black community on campus at Thursday's Black Convocation.

Held at the Goodson Chapel, the convocation was attended by students of different classes and graduate programs. Speakers included Marcus Benning, Law School ‘17 and president of Graduate and Professional Student Council; Ocoszio Jackson, Law School ‘17 and president of Black Graduate & Professional Student Association; Chandra Guinn, director of the Mary Lou Williams Center and senior Tiana Horn, president of Black Student Alliance. Reverend William Turner, Jr. also spoke, remembering Raymond Gavins, Duke's first African-American faculty member, after he passed away this summer.

“I thought [the convocation] was really meaningful,” said sophomore Jasalyn Bennekin. “I really appreciated the eulogy. It really made me think about how the reason I was able to come to Duke is because of those who laid the foundation for me.”

Guinn discussed the importance of fostering a strong community and space on campus for black students. She also talked about having love and appreciation for those in black community.

“Since black lives matter, black love must manifest,” she said.

Benning welcomed the new students and stressed the importance of self-care in Duke's fast-paced, high-intensity social and academic environment. He added that it is necessary to occasionally slow down to sustain a successful and healthy experience, emphasizing the importance of making time for relaxation. 

Following Benning, Jackson noted that the black experience is specific to each individual, and Horn encouraged students to not be afraid to succeed, even if they feel pressured to act a certain way.

"I think it reminds us very much of the power that the black community at Duke holds and our potential,” sophomore Kim Perez said.

The convocation also included a tribute to Maya Angelou. Guinn talked about how Angelou would visit the campus every year during finals time and lift students’ spirits.

"I really liked the part on Maya Angelou,” Bennekin said. “I am sad that I will never hear her speak, since [before she died] she came to Duke every single year."

The ceremony ended by remembering Gavins and his impact on black lives on campus for past  decades.

"I enjoyed the opportunity to get together with the black community because there's not a lot of chances to get together like that and celebrate ourselves and achievements,” sophomore Zephyr Farah said. "It was really nice that at the start of the school year, [we can] celebrate our past and look forward to our future."

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Share and discuss “Black community at Duke comes together in second annual Black Convocation Thursday night” on social media.