2016 Miami football season preview

<p>The Hurricanes will try to make a splash in Mark Richt's first year as their head coach.&nbsp;</p>

The Hurricanes will try to make a splash in Mark Richt's first year as their head coach. 

2015 record: 8-5, 5-3 in the ACC (3rd in the Coastal Division)

Head coach: Mark Richt (1st season) 

The Hurricanes enter the 2016 season looking for a fresh start under new head coach Mark Richt with many of the same players that flashed potential last season.

Arguably the most important returning player on offense for Miami is quarterback Brad Kaaya. The junior stuffed the stat sheet a season ago, finishing second in the ACC with 3,238 yards passing. Kaaya made plays when a porous offensive line gave him time to throw and finished with 16 touchdowns, compared to just five interceptions. 

A huge part of the quarterback's success will depend on the playmakers around him. In the passing game, Kaaya will be able to throw to the explosive Stacey Coley and the reliable Braxton Berrios, who have been consistent targets in the past few years.

On the defensive side of the football, a number of questions are lingering in Coral Gables after the sudden dismissals of linebacker Jermaine Grace and defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad. The duo was expected to provide leadership as returning starters for a defense that has struggled mightily during the past few years. The loss of Grace has allowed true freshman Zack McCloud to join a starting lineup with classmates Michael Pinckney and Shaq Quarterman. 

One bright spot for the Hurricanes heading into the season is on special teams. Junior Michael Bagley returns at kicker after connecting on a program-record 25 field goals last year, and senior Justin Vogel enters his third and final year as the team’s punter. 

Share and discuss “2016 Miami football season preview ” on social media.