Duke football defenders Brandon Boyce, Phillip Carter suspended for first 3 games of 2016

Sophomore defensive tackle Brandon Boyce and redshirt junior safety Phillip Carter have been suspended for the first three games of the upcoming 2016 season, Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced Thursday.

The reasons for the suspensions were not disclosed. 

The pair will, however, practice with the Blue Devils as the squad prepares for its season opener against N.C. Central Sept. 3.

Although Boyce and Carter are not expected to start this year, the loss of the defenders will affect Duke’s depth.

Boyce played in all 13 games his freshman year, compiling 24 tackles, four tackles for loss, and one sack. His best performance came against Virginia when he contributed five tackles and one forced fumble. 

Carter has registered 18 tackles and two tackles for loss in 21 career games. In Duke’s New Era Pinstripe Bowl victory against Indiana in 2015, the El Dorado Hills, Calif., native recorded six stops and his first career interception.

Carter was a projected starter earlier in the offseason as redshirt junior defensive back Devon Edwards was transitioning from safety to cornerback. But now that Edwards will remain at rover safety, Carter will likely be a reserve once he returns from the suspension.

The Blue Devils host Wake Forest Sept. 10 then travel to Northwestern Sept. 17 after their season opener. 

Share and discuss “Duke football defenders Brandon Boyce, Phillip Carter suspended for first 3 games of 2016 ” on social media.