More metal detectors: Duke announces new security measures for football games

<p>Duke started using metal detectors at men's basketball games toward the end of the 2015-16 season and will add them at football games.</p>

Duke started using metal detectors at men's basketball games toward the end of the 2015-16 season and will add them at football games.

Duke men's basketball fans were used to getting to Cameron Indoor Stadium hours before tipoff, so additional security measures like metal detectors for fans that were implemented in 2015-16 did not cause significant backups

But football fans might want to plan to start arriving at Wallace Wade Stadium a bit earlier than normal. The University announced new security measures for football games Monday, including metal detectors for fans, a no-bag policy and no stadium re-entry after fans have left the stadium gates.

Administrators think it will take about an hour to screen a capacity crowd of approximately 40,000 fans using all available metal detectors at four gates.

“These enhanced security measures are essential as Duke constantly strives to provide the safest possible environment for all event attendees,” said Kevin White, vice president and director of athletics, in a press release. “Our rollout of similar policies and procedures at Cameron Indoor Stadium last season was extremely well-received and we expect the same at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium this fall.”

The heightened security measures will be implemented starting Sept. 3 for the Blue Devils' season-opener against N.C. Central Sept. 3.

All staff, ticket-holders and students will be screened, with those who can't use walk-through medal detectors being screened by hand-held metal detectors and physical pat-downs. Guests will not need to remove jackets, belts, shoes, wallets, watches, jewelry or coins, but will be required to remove cell phones, cameras and any large metal objects. 

Duke will make special accommodations for children, guests with disabilities and items of religious and cultural significance in certain situations.

“These extra precautions are quickly becoming a necessary trend at large sporting events,” Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh said in the release. “We appreciate the patience and participation of all those who come out to the games to help us provide the safest possible environment.”

As part of the security measures, no bags or purses will be allowed inside Wallace Wade except for wristlets and clutches that fit in the palm of the hand—no larger than 5 inches by 8 inches by 1 inch—Duke Stores bags with a receipt, bags for medical or childcare needs and bags for credentialed game day staff.

The decision to not allow re-entry into the stadium is in line with best practices recommended by law enforcement agencies. Most major college football stadiums do not allow re-entry, including other ACC programs like North Carolina and Florida State.

Share and discuss “More metal detectors: Duke announces new security measures for football games” on social media.