Duke basketball legend Grant Hill helps Class of 2020 students shop for dorm room items from Target as part of O-week tradition

The annual late-night Thursday trip to Target for dorm room items is a Duke orientation week tradition, but this year's event for the Class of 2020 got an added boost from a former Duke basketball star.

Grant Hill ventured to the retail store on N.C. Highway 15-501 at about 10 p.m. Thursday to greet several members of the Class of 2020 and help them pick out items for their new homes on East Campus. The visit came after Hill took part in an Els for Autism charity golf event Monday.

"It's always good to be back in the area, particularly at this time of year," Hill said. "Twenty-six years ago, I was in this same boat, coming to school [as a freshman], getting myself ready, excited."

Hill said he would be back next week to talk to Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, fresh off a historic third Olympic gold medal with the U.S. national team. Hill explained why NBA players have benefited from playing for Krzyzewski when he met with reporters at the Els Foundation event Monday.

Student responses to Hill being at the late-night Target run were mixed.

Some were thrilled to be around the seven-time NBA All Star and two-time Duke national champion.

"I had no idea Duke was going to do something like this. This is crazy," freshman Tristan Bond said.

"I had signed up to be a volunteer, but I wasn't sure that I was going to come because I don't have a lot of time," senior Kathy Hong said. "Then they told me Grant Hill was coming and I got here early."

But others were unfamiliar with Hill, who helped the Blue Devils capture their first two national championships in 1991 and 1992 and made his last All-Star Game in 2005.

Some students entered the store without acknowledging Hill, though even those unfamiliar with the 43-year old were intrigued once they realized who he was.

"I'm not sure who he is, but the fact that he was one of the Duke basketball players makes this really exciting," junior Cassandra Appiah-Ofori said. "I just wanted to meet someone who was famous back then."

"He seemed like a very great guy," freshman Ben Alexander said. "He was very friendly and made us seem welcome." 

Share and discuss “Duke basketball legend Grant Hill helps Class of 2020 students shop for dorm room items from Target as part of O-week tradition” on social media.