Duke football lands 4-star quarterback Jack Sears

<p></p>

With fall practice set to open this week, the Blue Devils received a big piece of news that could usher in more bowl victories in the coming seasons. 

Four-star quarterback Jack Sears committed to Duke, becoming arguably the top commit in program history. The San Clemente, Calif., native spurned offers from in-state powerhouses such as UCLA and Southern California, as well as traditional powerhouses including Florida State and Tennessee. 

Blue Devil head coach David Cutcliffe took to Twitter to express his excitement about what figures to be a major stepping-stone in his efforts to continue building the Duke football program. 

Sears is currently ranked No. 141 in the ESPN 300 and the eighth-ranked pocket passer in the country. With the quarterback's commitment, the Blue Devils now boast the No. 21 recruiting class in the Class of 2017. The signal-caller joins tight end Jack Marwede, outside linebacker Drew Jordan and safety Damani Neal as four-star recruits in Duke's incoming class. 

Sears has the highest grade for a Blue Devil commit in program history according to ESPN's recruiting services at 83 out of 100, just above Marwede and redshirt sophomore Trevon Lee at 82. The quarterback could form a tantalizing duo with freshman wide receiver Scott Bracey—who was previously touted by scouts as the best recruit in Duke history—in the coming years. 

Although Cutcliffe has always been known for his ability to develop quarterbacks dating back to his time with Peyton Manning at Tennessee, Duke has struggled to find a blue-chip signal caller for many years, even as their recruiting prowess has increased significantly. The Blue Devils secured a verbal commitment from four-star quarterback Chazz Surratt a year ago, but the Denver, N.C., native spurned Duke for North Carolina shortly thereafter. 

Duke will hope to keep Sears' commitment and continue to build what promises to be one of the most talented class in program history. 

Share and discuss “Duke football lands 4-star quarterback Jack Sears ” on social media.