Duke football stars Thomas Sirk, DeVon Edwards team up to wear bowties to ACC media day Thursday

<p>Thomas Sirk and DeVon Edwards wore bowties to ACC football media day Thursday before their final seasons playing for the Blue Devils.&nbsp;</p>

Thomas Sirk and DeVon Edwards wore bowties to ACC football media day Thursday before their final seasons playing for the Blue Devils. 

Playing on opposite sides of the ball, cornerback DeVon Edwards and quarterback Thomas Sirk don't always spend time helping each other out. 

But the Blue Devils' two student representatives at ACC media day needed to combine their talents Thursday morning to work past a major obstacle—tying a bowtie. 

The duo showed their fashion sense, rocking a pair of matching silver bowties as they answered questions alongside Duke head coach David Cutcliffe about the upcoming season. 

Although Edwards and Sirk's final appearance may have been spot on, getting ready in the morning was no easy task.

"We have my phone here, his phone here and we’re watching different videos of different ways to tie bowties, trying to find the most effective way," Sirk said. "Ultimately, neither one of us could do it on our own and we had to help each other.”

But the quarterback's struggle spanned more than just one morning. 

"I started on it [Wednesday] night, watched YouTube videos and 20 minutes in, I couldn’t get it," Sirk said. "Devon’s like, 'We’ll worry about it tomorrow,' and I was like, 'Well, I don’t know if we’re going to have time tomorrow, Devon, because I’m struggling with it right now.”

As for the idea to don the bowties, both Edwards and Sirk had a hand in the final decision with an assist coming from one of the cornerback's closest friends. 

“It’s something me and Sirk wanted to go with and my girlfriend surely helped picked them out, and she said we should roll with bowties," Edwards said. 

After drawing rave reviews for his outfit Thursday, the quarterback made it known that Thursday may not be the last time he chooses to wear a bowtie. 

But in order to make the bowtie more than just a one-time fashion statement, Sirk will need to devote more time to the craft of tying bowties. With Sirk still recovering from his torn achilles, an extra hobby could be just what he's looking for ahead of training camp. 

“I like bowties. I think I’m a bowtie guy, so I need to learn to tie them effectively," Sirk said. "It’s still challenging me and I got a bit frustrated this morning."

Hank Tucker contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Duke football stars Thomas Sirk, DeVon Edwards team up to wear bowties to ACC media day Thursday” on social media.