RECESS  |  LOCAL

Recess Summer Concert Picks

<p>Violinist&nbsp;Lindsey Stirling known for embracing EDM stylings&nbsp;into her music&nbsp;will be performing at the DPAC July 18.&nbsp;</p>

Violinist Lindsey Stirling known for embracing EDM stylings into her music will be performing at the DPAC July 18. 

Now that Duke students are free for the summer, they’ve scattered to all corners of the globe to work, be merry and take advantage of these beautiful months. However, some people are sticking around Durham and the Triangle Area, to which we at Recess say, “Lucky you!” The Triangle Area is one of the best places to see concerts in the US, and this summer has an awesome slate of artists that you won’t want to miss. We’ve taken the liberty of picking the best concerts of this summer so, if you’re around Durham, go check one out! It’ll make your summer totally not a bummer.

Chris Botti—6/9 at The Carolina Theatre

• One of America’s foremost jazz trumpeters and composers, Chris Botti has won one Grammy and been nominated for several more. He will play selections from his ten-LP discography in what is sure to be a lush and toe-tapping evening.

POWERS—6/13 at Cat’s Cradle

• The pop band Powers has risen to prominence over the past year thanks to the strength of its first two singles “Beat of My Drum” and “Loved By You.” Dual vocalists Crista Ru and Mike Del Rio have amazing voices that provide emotion and fire to their eminently danceable jams.

PopUp Chorus—6/20 at Motorco Music Hall

• PopUp Chorus is a Triangle Area staple that lets community members join a glee club for an evening. During each session, the directors teach the audience one or two songs that then get arranged with live instrumentation. Participants in the 2015 DukeEngage Academy got a taste of PopUp Chorus firsthand, and so can you.

Kevin Morby—6/24 at The Pinhook

• Texan singer-songwriter Morby recently released his excellent third album, “Singing Saw.” It’s full of beautifully confessional folk rock and has garnered some of the best reviews of the year so far. Check out the song “I Have Been to the Mountain” before the show for evidence of Morby’s singular talent.

Mitski—6/26 at The Pinhook

• Mitski is on a roll this year due to the buzz surrounding her emotionally devastating singles “Your Best American Girl” and “Happy.” Fans of St. Vincent and Bleached will enjoy her great guitar-playing skills and lo-fi vibes. She will come to the Pinhook to play an intimate yet rocking show to celebrate the release of her upcoming album “Puberty 2.”

Adia Victoria—6/30 at Kings Barcade

• Adia Victoria is an indie alternative singer from Nashville who is currently touring her debut album "Beyond the Bloodhounds." The LP is an unsettling record full of dark harmonies, booming percussion, and sludgy guitar work that creates a unique atmosphere. Her automaton-inspired aesthetic should enhance her aural work in a live setting.

Jessy Lanza—7/5 at Cat’s Cradle

• Lanza is a Canadian electronic producer and singer. Her new album "Oh No" was inspired by sensations of the paranoia and claustrophobia she felt when confronted by an environmental catastrophe in her neighborhood. You’d never know it from her music, though; this is paranoia you can dance to all night.

Lindsey Stirling—7/18 at DPAC

• Stirling may be one of the few musicians in the world who has managed to entice younger generations to embrace classical music. This is largely because her music blends classical violin-work with elements of dubstep, dancehall and EDM. Her show at DPAC will display how one violin can truly command a crowd.

Swans—7/26 at Cat’s Cradle

• Legendary band Swans has had a storied 30-year career. Their wildly experimental rock music has seen resurgence in recent years with many imitators and groups that call it a major influence. However, Swans’ output from the past five years show that they’re still an original powerhouse. They have a reputation among concertgoers as one of the best live shows around, so you won’t want to miss out on their latest trip to Cat’s Cradle.

Share and discuss “Recess Summer Concert Picks ” on social media.