Letter to the editor

To the Editor:

Some of you may have seen an alarming article published in today's Chronicle (April 18, 2016), stating that the Duke Lemur Center (DLC) has lost its funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF). I write now to assure you that the article has unintentionally created a wrong impression. In fact, we very recently received word that we are to receive $500,000 over the next two years to support DLC operations. The well-intended article was meant to highlight the fact that the NSF Collections in Support of Biological Research (CSBR) Program has been suspended, pending both internal and external review. We are confident that the response from the scientific and public communities will be sufficiently compelling to convince the NSF to reinstate the CSBR program, and to continue supporting the many biological collections that are critical to the advancement of new knowledge. We at the DLC applaud the efforts of the NSF to assess and evaluate the allocation of precious grant dollars in this time of national crisis in federal funding for the sciences.

In the meantime, rest assured that the DLC is as strong as it has ever been. Please join us as we celebrate the past 50 years of Discovery, Engagement, and Protection, and move with excitement and vigor into the next 50 years!

With all best wishes, and profound thanks for your support and interest,
Anne Yoder

Director, Duke Lemur Center

Share and discuss “Letter to the editor” on social media.